Gum Line in Thin N Crispy Bases

Hi Tom,

Wondering if you could please help me with my dough recipe and gum line problem.

I’m trying to make a thin n crispy style bases like the photos below…

These are based on 180gram balls in 11inch trays (which the restaurant I’m trying to mimic uses).

I started using your basic delayed oil process recipe below:-

100% Flour
60% Water
1.75% Salt
2% Sugar
0.375% Instant Dry Yeast
2% Olive Oil

I mixed, scaled & balled, and immediately put them in the fridge to cold ferment overnight.

Brought them up to room temp the next day, sheeted them with my dough roller, and then cooked them in my lincoln impinger counter oven at 275 celsius for 5 minutes.

Now these tasted great, but the edge of the crust was a little more like a traditional crust.

My real problem was when I dropped the water from 60% to 53%…the edge crust looked exactly like the pictures but I then got a gum line…

Wondering if you can think of any solution to the gum line but still getting a crust like the pictures below…

Any help or thoughts at all are super appreciated !

I don’t think it’s the sauce as it doesn’t get a gum line on 60% absorption.

Thanks again,

Luke

ChorizoPrawnJalepnosChipotlePizzaReligion.jpg Gilligans_Island_cropped.jpg

Oh my flour is 12.5% protein as well.
Thanks again !
Luke

Luke;
For a thin crispy type of crust as you have shown I would take the dough absorption down to 45%. Be sure to put the water in the mixing bowl first (about 75F) then flour, salt, sugar and IDY, mix just until it begins to come together, add the oil and mix just until the dough is well incorporated. Immediately form into “pucks” place into shallow dough boxes, wipe the pucks lightly with salad oil, cross stack for 30-minutes then down stack. Use on the following day (s) (24 to 48-hour), to use the dough, allow to warm t at least 50F, sheet to size (trim if needed), dress and bake to the order. Note: In many cases we can achieve a crispier crust of this type be deleting the sugar and reducing the oil to only 1%. Also, you don’t mention what your baking platform is but usually a dark colored/well seasoned cutter pan works well as does the Hearth Bake Disk from Lloyd Pans <www.lloydpans.com>
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Hi Tom,
Thanks for that !
Quick question…if I using your basic dough formula and changing the dough absorption, do I need to compensate with any of the other levels e.g. yeast ?
Appreciate the help,
Luke

Luke;
No, just adjust the dough absorption in whatever direction you want to go. Less water will make a firmer dough while more water will make a softer (easier to handle?) dough with the potential for greater oven spring and increased crispiness in the finished crust.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor