Gyros, What the heck am I thinking?

Nobody does authentic gyros within 35 miles of me, And I’ve been threatening to bring them into the mix here for over a year now.
After me waiting in line for 90 minutes to get a gyro at a local motorcycle rally a week ago, that made my decision to offer them much easier.

I also plan to bring in some Feta, some greek olives, and offer a pizza with gyro meat, Feta, & olives

Anyone else doing gyros, any tips or tricks that you care to offer?

You could have an entire buisness model on gyros alone. You could set it up Chipotle style super easy and would appeal to ‘todays crowd’
Im Greek so ive always been paying attention to gyro stores. The owner of the busiest one around me comes in to order pizza from me on Friday or Saturday nights during the rush(note that he isnt working ever it seems) anyway he told me he is doing so well they are looking at franchising it. They have the reviews to back up how well they are doing too

We sell gyros - not off the cone, but pre-sliced meat. We sell quite a good amount of them, our customers love them. Would have to do more volume to be able to sell them from the cone.
We also offer our deluxe gyro - adding kalamata olives and feta cheese to it - YUM!
We also offer a grilled chicken gyro as well.
I am not sure what is “typical” for gyros, but we do not serve ours with lettuce, just onion (cooked) and tomatoes. Sauce on the side.

We do sell a gyro pizza as well. It is awesome! Served on a thin crust with tzatziki sauce, gyro meat, red onion, feta, kalamata olives and tomatoes. It sounds scary, but for people that like those foods, it is an amazing pizza!

Gyros are 2.35% of sales, all sub-type items are 12.3% of sales. Good percentage!

I sell like durb does. Pre sliced . I go thru a case of meat every 2-3 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here… I sell a classic gyro-tzatziki sauce,tomato,onion,feta and a dash of paprika for color
And a grilled chicken gyro with the same toppings. I serve both with fries.
The chicken gyro is a bit more popular for us.

Since we are rocking an exhibition kitchen that is fully op[en to the dining room, I decided to go with the vertical spit and slice to order right off the cone, I see myself upgrading to a better power knife real soon because of them. (Bettcher Whizard is the one I want)
tonight’s crowd saw the spit, and the gyros started selling rapidly. I started with only a 10# cone due to uncertainty on how they would sell, and I was forced to get another cone cooking within the first 30 minutes of opening. So, this could bring a whole new dimension into play for us.

Im jealous, right off the cone…NICE!

We tried Gyro Sandwiches over 30 years ago at my fathers business when I was a teenager. Sold maybe one a week. At that time Feta was very foreign to our customers. After the movie “My Big Fat Greek Wedding” came out, it seemed like it put Greek Food on the map. Mediterranean or Greek fast casual are all really taking off around Southern California. Not a bad idea to try if you could do it right.

“Mediterranean or Greek fast casual are all really taking off around Southern California”
So that means it’ll be another 10-15 years before that happens in my area…
We are primarily a BBQ place, that does pizza & wings too, I am doing things here that other places do not offer around me. In the last 7 years, I see people try to imitate our products, they fail horribly, and it only boosts our business. With Gyros, my worst case scenario is losing $30.00 a night if they fail to sell (10# cone at $2.90/LB)
Some of our delivery customers had gyros delivered, and we got some outstanding feedback on them, and I am getting phone calls asking if it is true that we are doing them now, let’s hope this gyro train keep on rolling and it may eventually let me phase myself out of BBQ and concentrate on items that involve so much less labor and cook times that are a fractions of the 14-18 hour cook times of our BBQ

man every place in chicago seemingly has them, i miss them terribly. you should set up another machine next to it spinning with al pastor tacos with a pineapple on top, you’ve got the pork already! shave some pineapple and pork onto tortilla, amazing!

I’ve been thinking of what else I can do with the spit. and that is a great idea, I may play around with that.
Last Saturday, I had a horizontal rotisserie downtown for our annual “Beef A Rama” event. (yes it is a real thing) http://wxpr.org/post/10000-attend-beef-rama and we prepared a Jerk Beef, there was an extra roast available for me to do here, So I used the vertical spit and gave out samples. The picture of the rotisserie in the article is mine, What can I say, I like cooking with fire…
The guy wearing the flame print chefwear pants just outside of the picture, yeah, thats my wide ass with the black chefs coat on

Dat beef tho!