Heating Oil for Dough Prep

Does anyone warm there oil for dough mixing? I haven’t tried it, but was wondering if it would make any difference if the oil was say, 100 degrees as opposed to room temp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not the expert so I may be wrong but off the top of my head I would say all you are doing is raising the temperature of you finished dough.

What would you be trying to achieve by doing this? It just seems like an added variable that can be messed up by someone to me.

My initial thought was maybe it would bet a crispier crust? But I don’t you guys are probably right, just an added task that wouldn’t get done every time

Both Daddio and Durbanic are “spot-on” with their advice.
The only time we ever heat a fat system (mind you, I said “fat system” not oil) is when we are adding a solid fat such as butter, margarine, shortening, or lard and need to deliver it to the mixer by means of pumping it. In that case we will heat the fat to a point where it is liquid so it can easily be pumped from the storage tank to the mixer. In many instances the fat is received in tank cars already heated so it can be transferred to the holding tanks, the holding tanks are heated to retain the fat as a liquid, the lines through which the fat is pumped are also heated to prevent solidification in the lines. When a solid fat is added to the dough in this manner it must be treated in the same manner as an oil would.
Outside of that, there is absolutely no benefit to heating an oil or solid fat.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Thanks Tom!