I have some old Lang deck ovens I am replacing and the things are so huge and heavy, we decided it would be easiest to take them apart in chunks to haul them out. these oven have to be a good 20 years old… I cannot even get spare parts for them anymore.
When I removed the top metal cover, I came across some fluffy white insulation, and it occurred to me it might be asbestos! All stop!
Would they really use asbestos in an oven like this? Or is it maybe some wool fiber or something? How can I tell?
The ovens are so old I can’t even get a serial number read (too worn off) to call the manufacturer and find out
The insulation is most probably a product called rock wool ( if I recall correctly)
But to be sure call the manufacturer 425 349 2400 last number I had for Lang
I did call Lang and they have no records for the ovens that old. They tell me that the current owners of Lang bought the company about 6 years ago and the older records for ovens were not transferred. The only way we would know for sure is to have an insulation expert take a look at a sample of the insulation.
They did say, however, that it is most likely rock wool, but no guarantees.
Call an asbestos removing company to come and check it out. DO NOT CUT OR TEAR OFF A SAMPLE!!! You could spread fibers all over you restaurant and be screwed. Asbestos is safe so long as you do not disturb it or breathe in fibers. It should cost minimal or nothing to have someone stop in and an expert will identify onsite for you. Best of luck!
Do use caution . . . and also remember this isn’t toxic nuclear waste we’re talking about. If you do ring that bell, it could be unringable and and a very costly tune for asbestos abatement/removal company. Is there any chance at all of going without the demolition option?? Those ovens would more likely need to be 70’s era to be still using asbestos, wouldn’t they?
I would start by contacting another oven company and ask when they stopped using asbestos insulation. Research by indirect info. Plus, as long as you leave the thing sealed, then you are in the clear in moving it. I do understand that the behemoth may be the unmovable object without deconstruction . . . just popping of the other side of ideas.
I would take Nick’s advice!
Asbestos started being a big deal in the mid 1970’s. Most of us older than that have had some casual exposure which is not a big deal. Chronic exposure such as working with with or around high temperature insulation, automobile brakes and other applications on a routine basis led to health problems in a percentage of those exposed. As Nick said, it is not nuclear waste, but you will find if you look into it that many state and federal agencies wish to treat it the same.I was involved in a couple of asbestos rip outs in the Navy and we were required to set up containment tents with HEPA ventilation, keep the material wet to prevent airborne fibers. workers wear protective clothing and respirators etc etc. the actual work was done by shipyard workers that had HAZMAT training.
Before using the A word I would make a great effort to determine the age of the beast.
I have delt firswt hand with the needed removal of asbestos and a couple of thoughts for you. First, it only talks a few fiber inhaled to become a longterm health concern. Yes, prolonged exposure is much worse but one day with also have the chance of future complications. We are talking a small cleanup here if it is. Two guys in protective suits and resp gear will strip it out…pack in blue asbestos barrel…and wipe down to santize the area where it was removed. Yes it will cost but probably not as bad as you might think. Just be safe around it…it is not something to play with or guess at. :!:
Ok, here is what I did. Since I had taken the top off, and seen I might be in a predicament, I decided against tearing apart the ovens, piece by piece to haul them out myself.
I reinstalled the top, sealing the insulation back in, and gathered up some stout construction workers and hauled them out in one piece.
I really doubt the ovens were made in the 70’s and even 80’s might be stretching it. I know the ovens are about 20 years old, which would put them in early 90’s, so I feel pretty certain that it is rock wool like Lang told me.