Help with dough for small, home use

I’ve worked in a few pizza places over the years, was part owner in one for awhile. But I never made the dough myself, and the one I was part owner of we used frozen dough balls.

Does anyone have a converted receipe that I can use a 4qt bowl on my Kitchenaid? Looking for a NY style crust, kinda thin. I can toss dough and put a raised on it, looking for a slightly chewy dough with a bit of crispiness on the outside.

TIA

one little cake of yeast
about 12 oz water
tablespoon salt

add 2 cups of flour to start
let mix low speed and then add flour 1/4 cup at a time until it starts to firm up.

mix on 5 for about 4 minutes, if dough seems to soft, add a bit more flour
if it seems to stiff add a tablespoon at a time of veg oil.

place on a oiled pan and let sit with a dome lid in fridge for a day

cook it well done

There are some good recipes on PMQ home page under “recipes”,
I recommend adjusting one of those recipes to a formula that requires 1/4 ounce of instant yeast, that’s what comes in one of those inexpensive packets from the grocer, all brands the same. you will beed to weigh out the other ingredients…
depending on the recipe, that will give you about a 60 ounce finish dough ball, and I recommend kneading that by hand.
It’s more fun and manageable, but it’s OK to use a Kitchen Aid as well.
hope that helps,
Otis

Thanks for the tips!

Here is one that I use at home…

1 t. instant yeast
2 c. water
1 T. sugar
1 1/4 T. kosher salt
2 T extra virgin olive oil
a little more than 5 c. bread flour

Use the dough mixing and managment steps from the recipe bank.
For home use I really like King Arthur bread flour, it is hard to beat!

Good luck,
David McGuire

I have a home made pizza dough recipe that is shown in the RECIPE BANK. I’ve used this one for many years now when teaching how to make pizza at home for local farm families. It even got written up in our loical newspaper a few years ago. It is designed to be mixed by hand, stirred not kneaded, but you could use a little Kitchen Aid mixer to stir it together. The main key to making a good pizza at home is in allowing the dough to ferment. My procedure does not call for overnight fermentation in the fridge due to the fact that we use it during our half day seminars at the different homes, but you could just as easily put the dough into a suitable container and allow it to ferment overnight for use on the following day. If you get tired of making pizza out of the dough you can also make a pretty mean French bread from it too by just shaping the dough into a piece about 1.5 inch in diameter and as long as your longest cookie sheet. Very lightly grease the sheet and place the formed dough onto the sheet pan, then “tent” with a piece of aluminum foil and allow the dough to rise for about 45 minutes, make 4 or 5 diagional cuts across the top of the loaf, spray with water and place into a 450F oven and bake until lightly browned.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor