Hidden Valley Ranch

I think your best bet is just 2 HVR commercial packets. 2 gallons extra (or super whatever the brand calls it)heavy mayo and 2 gallons buttermilk. That’s all you need

1 Like

Ok :+1:t3: I just got the commercial HVR packet and this seasoning has a green tint to it, whereas tge packet from the grocery store is white, So youre right Steve the retail version is different.
Im still going to try it using the regular milk and vinegar see if it comes out great

2 Likes

We get the bulk HVR mix from our supplier. It runs $156 for 20 pound box. We cut the buttermilk in half and replace that with sour cream. It saves us about $5 a gallon on cost but does add to the labor of course. Customers love it though, we sell about 300 gallons a week.

2 Likes

How much are you putting in to make 2 gallons of ranch? 6.5oz? I’m interested to see if my distributor does carry the bulk.

I tried making the HVR commercial recipe, using buttermilk substitute (whole milk with some vinegar added) and heavy duty mayo

Its a No Go.

It didn’t thicken up at all. All the parsley thats suspended through out the dressing was just sitting on top. Even after a day of refrigerating it was too thin.

So are you just going to mayo and real buttermilk?

Yes lol, after all this runaround I realized the few dollars id save isnt going to make or break me

Ive only found buttermilk with 1%milkfat

I have no idea what ours is

Probably around $8.50 a gallon if youre using Kens mayo

I meant the buttermilk fat. I’ll have to check when I’m in tomorrow

House Recipe blows Hidden Valley out of the Water!

My supplier is bringing it in. $148/cs

1 Like

I think you’ll be happy with it. My only recommendation is to thicken it up a bit. We originally followed the label recipe and it was met with a lot of customer complaints because It was too thin and runny. I think the label recipe is meant more for a sit down concept where the salad comes with the dressing already on it.

We cut the buttermilk amount in half and substituted it with sour cream. That was in 2013 and our ranch sales have gone up 10 fold since then.

I have the concern its too runny.

After you guys mix up a huge batch of dressing what are you putting it in to make it more manageable to portion??

The more I delve into making ranch, instead of my normal Kens Homestyle, the more im thinking I hope I dont have to. With employees not giving a care about anything, bringing in more ingredients. Its seems like a runaround

We use a plastic beer pitcher to portion. Handle and a little pouring spout work great. Scoop ranch out of bucket with pitcher, grab a souffle cup, pour into souffle cups over bucket (so ranch doesn’t drip anywhere but back into bucket).

Thats what I figured, A 1gallon pitcher with a spout.

We make duck sauce from scratch in a 10 gallon bucket, and portion it in the method you described. I was curious if someone had some clever way of portioning it

I wonder if they have a 10 gallon bucket with a spout/spigot on the bottom for easy filling of the pitcher, so its not dripping all down the sides of the picher

These seem clever to me. We were using a ladle for each cup. Now I feel dumb! Idk if it’s our buttermilk but we don’t have any runny problems

1 Like

I use a souffle cup to scoop. same size

Try the method brad and I use. Youll never go back

Another thing Dart/Solo souffle cups and lids are the absolute best. They stack well, dont get stuck together and have the best closure

Fabrikal are also good

We use store n pours. We take off the adapter at
The tip though

2 Likes