Hobart HL600

I was looking at the spec sheet for the Hobart HL600 and was wondering if when they say it has a 70lb capacity at 60% hydration, does that mean it can make 70lbs of dough or does it mean you can use 70lbs of flour? If it can do more can someone tell me how much dough it could do at 61-62% hydration.

The link is to the spec sheet
http://www.zesco.com/PDFs/305/305-D-200.pdf

You can’t do 70 lbs of flour in a 60 qt hobart. 50 lbs of flour works but just barely. One of lifes biggest mysteries is that 9 out of 10 pizza guys would take a 60 qt hobart instead of an 80 qt hobart at the same price. That is something I will never understand.

I dont know the true answer, but I had the h600 (without the auto lifter) and I cant imagine putting 70# of flour in there. We did 25# batches and it was about half full and when it was almost done you can hear it working harder. Not necessarily struggling, but just extra stress.

You’re not planning on buying new are you? Or getting one with an auto lift? Just curious.

Sorry I didn’t mean 70lbs of flour I meant to say could it do a 50# bag of flour at 61%-62% hydration. Yea I was planning to buy new why? Where can you find a 60Q for the same price as a 80Q? Even used ones I have seen for the 80Q are still 19-20k which is still $5,000 more than a 60Q.

Well, price. These mixers easily last 20+ years and you can find great used ones for more than half the price of new… I paid $5000 for an excellent condition newer model (less than 4 years old). And although the auto lift seems like a cool idea, its totally unnecessary in my opinion. Your paying extra for something that takes about 4 seconds to do and very minimal effort.

Yea I know what your saying but the mixer is one of those items I would rather buy new as well as the oven. I wouldn’t mind buying a used one if the price was right but for one of the items that is going to make your business I think it will pay for itself in the long run. Plus I’m not one to buy used items because I have gotten screwed before in the past and rather not take the chance and just buy new.

A used hobart 60 or 80 quart mixer should cost no more than 4-6,ooo dollars. You can actually find one for less and they rarely ever break down.

19-20k for a used 80 quart Hobart? I can show you where you can get a brand new 140qt Hobart for that price. Not sure where you are shopping but obviously at the wrong used equipment dealer. As others have stated, used Hobart mixers can be had for under $5000 with decades of life still left in them.

Really show me. I just looked at 3 sites and they all listed them at $29.000 for a Hobart HL1400. If you can show me a site that sells brand new Hobarts for half of what every single other site is selling them for please by all means give me the site.

Really show me. I just looked at 3 sites and they all listed them at $29.000 for a Hobart HL1400. If you can show me a site that sells brand new Hobarts for half of what every single other site is selling them for please by all means give me the site.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hobart-140-Quart-Mi … 45ef767c51

I offered this guy something like $10K for this mixer a while back. He countered and said he could go no lower than $18500.

If you must buy a new mixer, I would suggest a spiral mixer. They can be had for quite a bit cheaper than a Hobart and should hold up as well. I’ve been extremely happy with the Empire spiral mixer that I purchased to replace my Hobart 1401. I have seen some spiral mixers large enough to mix 50 Lbs of flour selling for less than $5,000 brand new.

I was thinking about a spiral but don’t they only have one speed? I have never really looked into them but I read the spiral vs planetary post here and that is what I am basing it on. I have seen videos on youtube of the spiral and fork mixers and the dough they produce seem to be more supple compared to the hobart. What do you like about the Spiral mixer. Can you give me a pros and cons on the Hobart and the spiral you use now.

Thanks

David

I was thinking about a spiral but don’t they only have one speed? I have never really looked into them but I read the spiral vs planetary post here and that is what I am basing it on. I have seen videos on youtube of the spiral and fork mixers and the dough they produce seem to be more supple compared to the hobart. What do you like about the Spiral mixer. Can you give me a pros and cons on the Hobart and the spiral you use now.

Thanks

David

Many spiral mixers do have two speeds. I only use my low speed, but high is there if wanted. As far as the dough it produces, I’m not sure there’s any difference between the spiral and planetary mixers. My spiral mixer is quieter, easier to pull the dough out of, easier to move and can mix more dough than my old Hobart. I sold my 20+ year old Hobart for just over $3000 and purchased a four year old Empire for $4000. Because of price and ease of use, the next mixer I purchase will be another spiral.

Can you do any level of hydration in a spiral?

That question would probably be best directed to Tom the Dough Doctor. Not sure if this speaks to hydration levels but I do know these are used in bakeries for bagels as well as breads.

http://www.bakeryequipment.com/Bakery-E … yID//0//11

There’s a great company for used mixers. That’s the link to 80qt mixers, but they have every size available. Those mostly fall in the $6,000 - $8,000 range.

You said the mixer was one of the items you’d prefer to purchase new, but that’s the one item I wouldn’t even think twice about buying used. I’ve never heard a horror story about a used Hobart. Mine was 12 years old when I bought it and it’s 18 years old now. I’ve only had one issue with it in the six years I’ve had it and it was a $150 fix.

I’m agree with Paul that if you’re going to go new you should consider a sprial, but also consider if you will be shredding your own cheese. You’ll be able to multi-task your planetary for that. We also make our own sausage and utilize the meat grinder attachment so the planetary made more sense.

You mean you wouldn’t think twice about buying new.

LOL. No, I mean I wouldn’t think twice about buying used. Or, I would buy it used without giving it a second thought. Bad phrasing on my part.