home made french fry question

Does anyone cut their fries from whole potatoes and if so do you blanch them in the fryer so they cook faster later during the busy times, if you do blanch how long do you do that for and then how long do you have to cook them later. If you don’t blanch how long does it take to cook from the raw state. One more thing, if you blanch how long can they keep for in the refrig.
Thanks, kel

hey kel,did you receive my note on pasta.i am very new to the computer stuf
if not go back to pasta and send no.please do not send my private msg,like i said,i am no computer geek,hardly know how to turn one on

Home made fries can be difficult, but definitely worth it.

We cook ours for around 10 minutes. Then cook to order for another 2-4. All potatoes are different. Depending on the sugar content of the potato, some will brown and look almost burnt, even though they taste great. Others will cook forever and never get a really dark brown. Sugar content will vary depending on where they’re from, how old they are, etc.

You must blanch them asap after cutting or they will get discolored. After they are blanched, they can stay in the fridge for 2-3 days. You can even freeze them if you like, but this is very hard on the oil.

I don’t recommend cooking start to finish at one time. This can tie up your fryer for up to 15 minutes. Of course this all depends on the thickness of the fry. Ours are about 1/2" square. If you’re doing shoestrings, I’m sure it will take a lot less time.

When I was in the concession business we cut our own fries. Thgis is what I have been told
Two important qualities of each variety determine the best way to prepare it. These are:

Starch content
Moisture content

High starch/low moisture potatoes are also described as having high solids. Washington russet varieties average 20-23 percent solids and are best for baking, mashing, frying or pureeing.
High starch/low moisture Russet Burbanks are preferred for French frying because their low sugar content keeps them from discoloring as they fry and because starch on the surface of the cut potatoes expands with the heat and dries the surface as it absorbs water from the potato. The result is a crisp skin with a fluffy interior.

Scrub potatoes well. Peel or not? Some menus now feature fries with peel on. Cut into desired shape - usually 3/8-inch thick. For crisp finished fries, chill peeled, cut potatoes in cold water to cover, with lemon juice or vinegar (1 ounce per gallon water) added to water to prevent darkening, for 1/2 to 2 hours before frying. Rinse, then drain well or spin dry and dry on paper towels. (Any moisture on potatoes will cause oil to spatter and can be dangerous.)

Heat high quality vegetable oil in fryer to 375°F. Add 2 pounds (depends what size your fryer is) prepared potatoes to fryer basket, put into hot oil and cook until golden brown and cooked through, about 4 to 5 minutes. The other thing we had was curly fries that machine made me a fortune and because it cut it so thin they were fast to cook.

parfry at 325 F until tender, and just under cooked. Drain well and cool. When you refry at 350F or 375F (better), they will be crisp for at least a little while.

No parfrying gives you rather limp, though tastey, little fries. You can alternatively coat them in some starchy thing to get the crispness. Think potato starch. That is extra work and handling, though.