How much does it cost you to make your sauce by the gallon

Is anyone willing to share what it cost per gallon in very general terms to make your own pizza sauce from scratch or, what you pay for pre-made sauce? 8) 8)

how about a # plus or minus $2?

Re: How much does it cost you to make your sauce by the gall

I use spices I get from a mail-order co-op, Stanilaus tomato products, and come in at around $3.95 to 4.11 a gallon depending on price fluxuation. My spice costs are probably about what most people pay for the “warehouse spices”, but I have found a big difference.

That’s two #10 cans of product and about 3/4 can of water plus spice blend. My math give me 2.5 gallons and cost of $7.92 to $8.22.

I’m curious to know what everyone is paying for a can of stanislaus. Ours works out to $3.17 a can and I’m not sure what the volume of one of those cans is but we use the same recipe as you…2 cans sauce, 3/4 cans water, and spices. That gives us approximately 8 quarts or 2 gallons at a cost of $6.93 per batch or $3.47 a gallon…

Whoops. I meant 2 gallons yield, and cost per gallon was as listed. I just went in to get new prices for the tomato products. Seems they went up on me since my last order. My cost will be higher next time I make it.

7-11 ground pear tomatoes 3.55 per #10 can (Stanisl brand)
Saporito SHeavy Sauce with basil 4.08 per #10 can (Stanisl brand)
spices blend 1.5 ounce total .55 per 2-can batch

8.18 pr batch and about 4.10 per gallon. Not really so much different from yours, but I’m gonna check my pricing with my food rep :slight_smile:

We’re using the stani full red at the $3.17 rate. I would imagine it would be cheaper than the blends from stani that you are using, but I don’t have too much knowledge of the price points on the various blends either. Assuming they are a “higher” product line then it seems you would be on about the same pricing track if you were to order full red.

I pay $3.56 a can for the Full Red Pizza Sauce.

I get Saporito for $21.20/cs = $3.53 per #10 can

Many thanks everyone for your replies :smiley: