How much dough can you make in a 40qt Hobart?

Can you make a 25lb batch in a 40qt hobart without stressing the equipment too much? I am talking about a standard hobart not a VCM.

Thanks!

Mike;
If we are talking about a 40 quart bowl on an M-800 or M-802 mixer, the answer is yes, but if we are talking about a 40 quart Hobart mixer (I don’t know of a model number for a 40 quart Hobart) tha answer would be no. This would be too large of a dough size. About the best you could hope for would be would be a dough based on 15 to 18 pounds of flour. If you have a 60 quart mixer (H-600) then you should be able to go with 25 pounds of flour without any problem. If you have a P-660 you should be able to go with 40 pounds of flour weight without any problem. Thew P-660 is designed for making stiff doughs like pizza and bagel doughs.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

i use a 30qt and was using a 25# bag mixing okay until i broke the shaft twice you have to split the batch to save your mixer

thd 60 qt is the smallest recommended by Hobart for 25# flour. For reasons you found out!

Mike, find out the model number. I just looked up a Hobart d300 (30 qt) and d340 (40 qt). According to the seller’s site, the 30 qt is 115v single phase with a 3/4 hp motor. The d340 shows to be 208v three phase with a 1.5hp motor. I know in the 60 quart line, Hobart has as little as 1.5hp (maybe even 1hp) up to at least 2hp and higher I believe. Hobart is a good company to call for customer service. They’ve helped me out with questions on used mixers before.

The Hobart D340 according to specifications will mix 45 lbs of thick Pizza dough @60 hydration:
https://my.hobartcorp.com/resourcecenter/ProductDocumentation/F8426-02-04.pdf

I think a 25lb bag of flour pizza recipe will come out at 40lbs.

So am I missing something?

A lot will depend upon the speed at which you will be mixing your doughs at. In many cases capacities are based on mixing only at the lowest/slowest speed which might take forever and a long day to mix out a dough (realistically 20-minutes or more) while many of us will use second or medium speed for the high speed mixing which results in a better mix due to improved mixing action and a lot shorter mixing time (usually around 8 to 10-minutes) which also provides us with better temperature control (finished dough temperature). If you have a reverse spiral dough arm you can mix at low speed and eventually get a decent dough but if you have an old fashion “J” hook the dough just grabs onto the hook and goes for a free ride getting poor mixing action which results in very inconsistent doughs. The only solution here is to mix the dough at a high enough speed to force the dough off of the “J” hook.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor