how to season pizza tins

hi all what is the best way to season new tins?
thanks

Wash and thoroughly dry the new tins. Run them through the oven to thoroughly dry and heat the tins, then wipe the outside with salad oil and pass through your oven (never more than 425F). I like to invert the pans, and set the time for about 15 to 20-minutes. The pans will take on an amber hue, they will continue to darken with repeated use. NEVER soak a seasoned pan as it will result in the seasoning peeling off. Instead, wipe the pans with a clean towel. If you must wash them, hold a pan in one hand and a soft bristle nylon brush in the other. Dip the pan in soapy water, scrub with the brush, dip in rinse water, dip in a sanitizing solution, wipe dry and then pass through the oven to thoroughly dry. Repeat with each pan. Resist the temptation, DO NOT SOAK the pans, and if you do, remember these words…“I told you so”.
One other thing, seasoning the pans will create a mess with all of the smoke, so best do it during closed time, and make sure that it doesn’t set of any smoke or fire alarms.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Tom i am a little confused, you say that you wipe the outside of the tin with the oil. You do mean the side where the pizza will be, right? You also say you like to invert the pans, i guess it goes without saying that the amount of oil on the pan is just enough to coat the pan. Also thanks for the information on the templ., i was once told over 500F. So we would coat the pans pretty heavy, run them through the top oven for 9-10 min and then run them through the bottom the same amount. We used the top and bottom because it make it easier to keep track of the pans. Thanks again for all your help, past,present and in the future.

I season pans with a pan coating oil called vegalene. Coat the pan and bake at 350 for 12 hours.

A;
Nope, the outside of the pan is the opposite side from where the dough is placed. Just give the pan a thin wipe of salad oil and run it through the oven inverted, and unless you want the additional excitement of a potential fire in your store, I would highly recommend keeping the oven temperature under 435F when seasoning the pans. After the first pass you can increase the temperature to whatever you wish to help set and further darken the seasoning without any issues, but it’s that first pass that you have to be careful with.

Tom are you not cureing the other side at all? Thanks

Algier;
Nope, no need to season the inside of the pan. It is the outside part that absorbs the heat, not the inside. Think of it like this: It is a very hot day, and you want to be as cool and comfortable as possible, what color shirt do you wear? Black or white? White, of course. Why? Because it will reflect the heat away from you, while the black shirt will absorb the heat, making you hot and uncomfortable (good for pizza as this helps it bake better). Besides, since we’re using a spun aluminum pan, you’re going to use some type of oil or shortening in the pan to get the pizza out of the pan, and with time, the inside will become seasoned and dark in color too, but unlike the outside of the pan, seasoning on the inside of the pan has little affect at improving the baking properties of the pan.

hi tom what about tin pans as the inside will rust witch some of mine have.
do you season the inside of a tin pan?
thanks

Matt;
You have been washing those tin pans incorrectly again, haven’t you? LOL
Like I said, there is no need to season the inside of the pans as they will be naturally seasoned due to the oil/fat that you will put into the pan to allow for release of the pizza. Keep in mind that rust is associated with water, one of the greatest enemies of any pan. To reduce the pan exposure to water, always be sure to invert the pans and pass them through your oven just long enough to get the pans “hot to the touch”, then set aside to cool for a few minutes before stacking and putting away. Even the smallest amount of water left in the corner of a tin pan will end up causing rusting of the pan.

what is the best way to get rid of the rust?
i have rust spots on my old tins which send the dough mouldy the same day. were the seasoning has come of in places.
also my new tins have quite a bit of rust on and i only used them a couple of times

If you have seasoned pans that are showing signs of rust, the only thing to do is to strip all of the seasoning off of the pans (Carbon Off), then use Naval Jelly or CLR to remove the rust, wash thoroughly using vinegar to rinse the pans before the final rinse and sanitizing, run the pans through the oven to THOROUGHLY dry, then reseason. After that, don’t ever let the pans remain in water for more than a quick dip during washing (remember my washing instructions) wipe the pans dry and finish the drying process by running the pans through the oven until slightly hot/very warm to the touch. Most of the time I just wipe the pans out with a clean towel and put them away for the night.
You mention the dough getting moldy on the same day due to the rust. I doubt that it is mold that you are seeing as it taked approximately 4-days for mold to appear, but instead, I think you are seeing staining of the dough/crust due to the rust. This also adds a funky (very scientific term) metallic taste to the crust. Just another reason to get rid of the rust.

thanks tom
the dough gets green bits on it like mould. gets worse after been out the oven for 5 min
ill try re seasoning them see how i get on

Matt;
Keep in mind that if you just try to season the pans over any rust, the seasoning will just lift off of te rusted area in a short time, taking you back to square one. Green…normally you get a reddish or brown color from the rust, and you can get a black or gray discoloration from an oxidized aluminum pan. When i see green, I normally think of copper. Does the green color show up on the pan too? If it does, it might be due to some reaction with the soap you’re using to wash the pans in. Since mold spores are killed in the oven, it’s a sure bet that it is not mold that you’re looking at, but instead, the product of some chemical reaction. In any case, still not good.

i can see rust spots on some of the pans most arnt that bad now. i dont wash my tins i use a damp cloth to wipe them. the problem started after i gave them all a good wash and dry. ill try giving them a good clean and removing the rust and old carbon and see if there ok then.
could there be to much water in my dough which makes the rust apear when there sat in the fridge

Do you have to season a new pan if it has that hard coat anodizing on it. I have purchased new American Metal Craft hard coat anodized aluminum pans and was curious what I need to do with them before we use them.

Thanks,

Tony

Matt;
No. The water content (absorption) of the dough won’t affect the rusting of the pans. Be sure to lightly oil the inside of the pans after you scrub and clean them of any/all rust, otherwise, they’ll show rust again within a few hours. The oiling of the pan after cleaning seals the surface of the metal from oxygen, thus helping to slow the rusting/oxidation process.

I was once seasoning the pans and on half of them the crisco created a sticky film vs a smooth layer? I had to scape them pretty good and start over again. Never figured out why? Any ideas on that one