Hungry Howie's franchise? what can you tell me, good or bad

How does Hungry Howie’s rate with the competition and do you think it’s a wise investment. Feel free to sound off on any likes or dislikes or things to watch out for in their franchise agreements etc. They seem to be growing very fast.

Re: Hungry Howie’s franchise? what can you tell me, good or

quite odd - Dominos, Little Caesar & Howies all had their start in Michigan…

Like any chain, there are some stores better than others…

Howie’s is a lower tier priced option - but its all what you make of it…you will benefit by using their buying power, but you also must use their method to make your pies…

There are 2 near me - yrs ago I used 2 sneak in @ the one that had a buffet, ala CiCI’s - not bad for the price 4 lunch…

The other one near me is in a convenience store, like my next project - I met the owner a while back & talked w/them recently - the pie was not bad - a little lite on the cheese IMHBAO, but they serve a market…they deliver as well, but don’t focus on all the “cheap” options

Personally, if you have pizza experience, I don’t see why you want/need a franchise…

If you have no experience, I’d get some b4 making the plunge & paying your “FoolsTax”

Patriot…A franchise may not be for you or me but for some it works well…While you give up independence you gain a system that works well most of the time…Plus there is strength in numbers as far as marketing costs and purchases…Most often the royalties are off set by buying power…RCS…

I’m not real familiar with Hungry Howie’s but beware of the promise of buying power with a franchise. I have seen cases where you could actually buy products cheaper if you were not locked into a franchise system, sometimes the franchisor is getting a big kick back from the supplier. Meet with a Hungry Howie franchisee and ask him what he is paying for boxes, cheese, pepperoni, and compare to the prices you can get as an independent.

run from pizza franchisig…they make false promises… open your own indy pizza place u will be free. for cost of goods you will recover in by not paying royalty. if you insist to go with them than visit thier low end store from the franchise list, not the one that they hook u up but rendomly selact one and talk to all franchisee regarding their good and bad exp with company…think hard and ask your friend and relatives opeions b4 signing on.

I wouldnt say run from being a franchise there are alot of good things that come from them. Number 1 being name recognition and alot of people will take comfort in that. I worked for Hungry Howies for quite a few years and con honestly say I am not a fan of the food and they seem to sell there food almost soley on flavored crust. The various Howies I worked for ranged in sales from 7,000 a week to a little over 10,000 a week. I was told there were stores nearby doing 20,000 a week but can not confirm that. They used to sell there food at very low prices but there prices have been on a consistant rise and now are very much in line with places such as dominos. I still do have quite a few contacts at HH and I know they are buying there onions and green peppers for about 1/3 the cost of what I pay. They also purchase there diced cheese cheaper than what I am buying block cheese for. I think you have to pay 4% royalties and 4% to the advertising fund although there seemed to be a large gap in corporate advertising support. I hope this has helped you out.

Open two sub shops side by side. Make one a big name (Subway, Quizno’s, whatever) and the other an indy. Make the EXACT same product in each and put the name on the windows. Watch one get the bulk of the business. THAT is what franchising offers you. They have products people know, a name they know, and what should be absolute consistency.

Then again, try making a garlic-roasted, basil encrusted pizza sub at the franchise and put it on the menu and see how quickly your hand gets slapped.

I dare say that if you took the above two sub shops and everything else were equal (including price and sales), the indy would make more money. However, if franchises were free, everyone would have one.

Thanks for the input.

Steve 12 I have a couple questions for you as you worked in their system

Did the system work as advertised?

What kind of net return percentage do the stores range compared to other chain stores or independents?

Also, do you kown the difference in return percentages between the owner operated Howie’s and one with a hired manager?

Thanks for all the responses. I have no pizza experience so a franchaise is the way to go for me. It seems much easier to control additional locations through a franchise as well, should you wish to expand. I recently discovered Howie’s on a trip and loved the food compared to most other chains products. The bonus is there is not one Howie’s open in my state although I here they are coming soon.

I’m trying to gather info on them to see what you should earn from a typical store.

Lastly what type of markets are more profitable A College Campus area, or small cities & towns

Thanks

When you get serious about HH they will give you a list of current owners that you can call and talk to. Call each and every one of them and ask every question that you have. They are your greatest resource for information.

Hi Guys;

I regret I have recently been to busy to participate in the forum.

Regarding Hungry Howie’s

I have equipped something over 400 of their stores. I know of none of those we set up that were not successful except for, if I recall one or at the most two. If there were others I am not aware of them. An outstanding example is one operator whose father’s 2 or 3 stores we equipped. He started his first shop scared to death of failure. We did about 20 successful shops for him in Michigan and are now in the process of setting up his second in an out of state location.
George Mills

Wow, with only about 560 stores currently open that’s a huge percentage.

Wow, with only about 560 stores currently open that’s a huge percentage.
[/quote]

We started equipping Howie’s before the conveyor oven became popular. We introduced the Conveyor oven to Howie’s and that improved technology helped them present an attractive and profitable package. They had a very explosive growth.

We were, back then, working for the company that at that time was the authorized food supplier to Howie’s. When Howie’s Set up their own food distribution system we left that company joined another and opened a facility two buildings away from Howie’s. They eventually moved across town but they are still a great customer. Note I may not have the Number of shops we equipped to the decimal point but I think I am close.

George Mills