Iodized Salt vs Non Iodized Salt

Has anyone out there ever used a non iodized salt in their pizza dough…If not would anyone know if it will change the structure of it???

Just out of curiosity why would you want too? The minerals that they add to make iodized salt adds almost zero cost to the product and actually is kind of used like fluoride in the drinking water. Low cost with fairly high long term benefits. Iodine is a major deficiency in a lot of people’s diets and is a very important chemical that helps with long term mental issues…and oh boy do pizza owners need as much help with that one as possible! :stuck_out_tongue: Most people use non-iodized salt for canning or pickling items as it does not alter the color or darken the product. To answer your question, I do not believe that there should be any difference in the finished dough product but I am hoping that Tom chips in and reaffirms my thought on that one. :expressionless:

Its not that I want to use non iodized salt but that is all that one of my suppliers supplies, and I picked it up not knowing till I got back to the store…So before I actually use it instead of returning it, I am curious if it will change the dough…

Unless your local High School is nicknamed the Fighting Goiters, I don’t think anyone will be able to tell a difference. It shouldn’t affect flavor or dough structure.

“The Fighting Goiters”, I love it, Brad. I can just immagine their mascot.

If your experimenting with salt try Maldons sea salt flakes www.maldonsalt.co.uk to calibrate on high-end flavor, I don’t think it gets any better than this. Great in dough mix but also sprinkle a pinch around the conrnicione before bake.

Now this one is funny. On the west coast the benefits of marketing that we use sea salt and pure can sugar is oddly beneficial. Here in Pittsburgh…no one even gives a crap.

As for the taste…with both ingredients, there IS a distinct difference in taste. Dont ask me how to explain it but there is a taste difference. As for perception, let’s make a bet on how many restaurants start moving towards the sea salt and cane sugar in the next 3-5 years…I BET more will for the marketing reasons.

Here’s one other example…Gluten-Free. Some on here, and one other rag mag in our industry suggested that offering gluten-free wasn’t a great decision since only 3 percent of the population actually followed a GF diet. NOW let’s look at how many of us are serving or looking to serve GF pizzas.

For me, in 13 months I went from serviing 25 pies a week to 200 pies…YES 200 pies a week. I may be the exception since we developed the only allergen-free ingredient pizza in the U.S. and in my area I am now seen at the ONLY pizzeria to trust for this dietary lifestyle. BUT when you see the wave of people who are asking about cane surgar or sea salt or nitrates…I bet you that this will be the next wave of selling points from customers.

In fact…my next menu will be promoting that we use sea salt and pure cane sugar and I KNOW this will positively affect my business. These ingredients are “feel-good” ingredients and whether “we” think they have a benefit, many consumers do and “they” are the ones buying pizza.

steve

If I could sell 200 pies a week, I could have stayed in business!

Well done on the gluten-free over-ride!

Debbie;
You can use iodized salt interchangeably with non-iodized salt in your pizza dough. In some applications, such as pretzels, where the salt is used for the primary flavor, a non-iodized salt is perferred due to the flavor.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor