Is it Tacky to have Someone Standing by the Road w/ a Sign

I’m sure some of you do this, I am a little bit more of an upscale pizza place. Not much, but we have a full service dining room, it is casual, but more classy than the typical delco. I am right across the street from an Applebees, Unos Chicago Grill, Steak & Shake, etc. I didn’t know if it was tacky to put someone on the side of the road shaking a sign, or if it would be worth the return. I was thinking of doing this over the lunch hour.

Does anyone do it??
Does it pull people in??

Re: Is it Tacky to have Someone Standing by the Road w/ a Si

I think so, instead pay that person to door hang.

We ran a special and had the girls outside with the sign and sure it helped but it was a really great special and we are casual.

I don’t think it would bring in much with those competitors around. I would go to your chamber and get a list of members, pick winners each week for a free lunch special. Make it a big ol deal put a shirt, pens, magnets and plenty of menus in a pizza box and personally go by and tell them their business was chosen as this weeks lunch special winner. Of course the free lunch is dine in only and something small without a drink.
Whola, they will come in, the co workers will come in and the pens will be lying around for another day when they are wondering where to go for lunch.

Yes.
Yes.

If you’re an upscale place just be sure that your sign is upscale. Don’t make one up on the back using parchment paper and a marker. :shock: Have it professionally done and have it match the upscale level of your restaurant.
The same goes for the person holding the sign. Whomever you choose will be representing you and your business. That’s as important as the sign.

When I first considered doing the sign/banner waving I went out for three days straight for two hours to see what is was like and to think of the best way to do it. Here’s what I came up with:

1. Have two people out there. Being alone out there sucks and can at times be humilitating. They shouldn’t be standing next to each other, but it helps to have someone else doing it.
  2. Sign should be held chest high, waved and moved slowly to attract attention.
  3. The person holding the sign should be walking forwards and backwards in the same 10yard area. This prevents people from standing there looking angry, bored, disinterested or all of the above.
  4. The person holding the sign should be high energy and try to have fun while being there.

Good luck !

My immediate thought was . … who cares about tacky if it works :slight_smile:

The high class sign is a great idea. Add to that a high class outfit for the person out there. Neat, clean . . . even in formal wear would be fun for upscale . . . a tuxedo? Hot and unfomfortable for long wear, bt maybe just a shirt and tie would do. If you do get a sign made, you could even consider having it FRAMED to make it still classier?? If it is a good size, you can go to the local low-dollar department store (around here, it is Dollar General and Big Lots type stores) and buy their ‘framed art’ for $10 to $15. I call it their cheap frames aisle. Heck, even Wal-mart and Target have some stuff like that.

All sorts of ways to class up the road signs and not send a gorilla suit out to flail around.

i don’t think it’s tacky it is a mktg ploy

every tuesday we have a guy stand on the corner of the 2 main streets intersection

we sell large pizzas for $5.00 yes we cut back on the toppings like 27 peps instead of our normal 40

tonite we did $1865 in sales and that also included the dinners

$1500 was done was from 4pm-8pm with 6 people inside and 2 delivery drivers

so i thinks sign shakin works and i will keep doing it

now back to your question

i would put free app or free drinks on it and have them wave and hand out menus

Fat Boy, I am impressed at the success of your sign campaign. Excellent use of a high traffic road and simple tools to capitalize on market exposure!!

You may have missed that the initial poster is NOT a $5 pie place, but an upscale dining establishment. Your belief in sign shaking is still valid . . . but do you think it makes sense for THEM in THEIR situation?

Handing out flyers/menues could be a great addition to the sign people . . . do check local ordinances regarding impeding traffic with handouts and such like that.

depends what she looks like :smiley: :shock: :oops:

Encourage the sign shakers to have fun. I used to have a blast. Rotate the guys every half hour or so. If your best guy wants to do it, he should get the same chance as the others.

What you don’t want is the guy sitting in a chair holding a sign that looks like a campaign sign.

I think of it this way… most places want you to feel welcomed when you walk through there doors. They want you to have that nice homey feeling.

So picture this and think which one you would rather:1) You’re heading home to your wife, girlfriend, mom or whomever. You pull in the driveway, park your car and head inside. 2) You’re heading home to your wife, girlfriend, mom or whomever. You pull in the driveway and they are standing outside anxiously waiting for your arrival.

Which one makes you feel or warm and fuzzy ?

When you’re standing out on the road it says, “We really, really, really want your business.” There’s nothing wrong with that !

A side note for Fat Boy: Do you think it’s wise to use less toppings on a pizza that you sell for $5 ? If I had been to your place prior and received 40 pepperoni on that, then see that you’re having a great deal for $5 and stop in too take advantage and find out there’s less pepperoni on it I’d feel jipped. I don’t think your pizza should change just because your price point has. You don’t want to over look what the customers expectations are.

It is an unfortunate reality that this is a part of the quick service pizza world . . . low cost, always ready and lower food cost due to less on top. I don’t think anyone should be surprised by it this far along, but some might be.

I don’t do the $5 cheap pies because I don’t want a reputation for selling cheap, skimpy pies. Some are set up to capitalize on that market, and are brilliantly successful . . . I am not one of them. We play the higher quality, moderate price game in our place.

FatBoy and LC are hitting a different part of the food chain and market that I don’t hit. Room for everyone in the pool . . . just remember that special dye in here . . . we’ll know who you are!!

Have to echo the sentiment about going cheap on the toppings. People will naturally assume you are selling the same pizza as you always do.

What happens if this $5 pizza deal works and they come in for the first time and think that is what all your pizzas are like?

I score huge points if they come back and get a full price, full load pizza :smiley: That’s IF they come back.

I’ve wanted to do it with my wife in a bikini–but she says she has to lose 80 pounds first----now thats tacky

i do the $5 pizza 1 nite a week every week those are the customers that just order on tuesdays they know what trhey are getting and yes they do come back i do it for the customers who are in a hurry and on a budget

my reg price is $10.99 Large 1 topping i haven’t had any complaints about the downsizing of toppings

have you ever just put 25-27 pepperoni on a large and cut it and compared it to a 40 pep large not that musch diff in apperance you just don’t lose them in the cracks

i do the same thing foe schools and churchs so they don’t run to LC’s and get them