Large 14" 1 topping price

Sorry,

Guest is right. Look more towards $1.25 for a Large, $1.50 for an XL for additional toppings.

-J_r0kk

we call it our Medium
14" is $9.45+tax going up to $9.95+tax

Hello
14" 1 -TOPPING $ 6.99. Also doing promo 2 large 1 topp for $ 11.99
Last week it was 4.95, took it up due to cost rise.
Los ANGELES. CA
Have Little Ceaser, Pizza Locca, Pizza Patron, Dmono,Ph, and other 40 in 5 miles area.

that was me,woops

Well, maybe you can help me with this…

It drives me absolutely crazy when pizza prices are something like this;
large “combo” - Pep, mush, green peppers, onions & tomato - $18.00
BUT… if someone buys a large “5” topping pizza they pay (this is an example of course) $14.50 - now add $1.50 per topping and you are paying $22.00.

I am trying to avoid the customer having to choose only MY created combos to get a good price. Does that make sense? I know what I don’t like when I order pizza and I am trying to avoid doing that as an owner. (I really dislike seeing “NO SUBSTITUTIONS” also, I would like to say SUBSTITUTIONS WELCOME within reason) Or maybe this is just a Canadian thing LOL

Large 14" 1 topping $11.48+tax

Central Pennsylvania

we haven’t opened yet, but I can tell you one of our competitors 14" one topping is $15.30 and thats not the most expensive place in town, and they are busy.

14"(medium) one topping $9.00, 16"(large) $11.00 and 18"(ex large) $13.25

14" One Topping $15.29
16" One Topping $17.59

My small is a 14’’ which cost 8.50 w/ 1 topping
My lrg. is an 18’’ which cost 10.50 w/ 1 topping

I am in Phila.Pa these are actually competitive prices and I am on the high end.
Niccademo

Once you get into the pizza ownership side of things, your view might change :slight_smile: My entire menu is filled with “good prices” though. That’s how we designed it, so all prices are fair and lean to begin with. I use my shops ‘signature pizzas’ for several goals

• creating an identity and establishing the idea that pizzas are wide and varied
  • provide some interesting options for people wanting ‘something different’
  • placing some built in pricing specials on the menu to reduce the need for extensive couponing.
  • feature some ingredients people woul;dn’t normally ask for, thereby rolling through stock more efficiently

You can do your pricing however you wish to do it. I just want to emphasize that cost of food and profit margin are a huge element of survival. The tough balance is offering customers value and variety while maintaining solid business practices.

I have to agree that rigid policies like no substitutinos will make my customers leary . . . and there are very, very few in our shop. The whole idea is making a pleasant and product place for people to eat, and for us to make profit at the same time.

I’m with you Debbie.
My pricing is completely out of whack with my competition, on purpose.
We just have a few “levels” of pizza - and customers are encouraged to order whatever they want without fear of “per-topping gouging”.
And no charge for 1/2 and 1/2, or 1/3’s, or 1/4’s.
We gain a lot of dedicated customers who understand and appreciate it…

Yes, I do understand when I am actually operating this business that things will look different.

I have been working on my menu for a couple months now. AND I AM ONLY SELLING PIZZA! I can’t imagine the full menu yet and how extensivley each product needs to be researched and priced.

Remember I need a “hook” to my place too as it only offers pizza and pick up. No dine in, no delivery (yet) no other menu items (yet). I guess this is also why I need to keep the pricing down. The one thing I keep hearing over and over from people in my town is “PLEASE MAKE IT AFFORDABLE” At the competitors here in town it costs roughly $21.00 for a 17" combo and $2.80 per additional topping. (No substitutions) I want to offer that same pizza for $19.00 and substitute away… It should all work out in the end with pricing.

Hello,
With all the ever increasing costs, gas, electric, min. wage, food especially cheese that has gone through the roof! I dont know how anybody can sell pizza 16" below $13- $15.00, Im redoing my menu as we speak, or Im dead. I also only use top of the line All trump, grande, Stainaslauss, so I must charge.
Kevin
N.Y./Miami

I actually see this as reason to keep prices assertively based on the financial analysis of your business: focusing on your monthly expenses, anticipated break even point and the cost of individual ingredients in your market. Without other various low labor, decent margin items on your menu to contribute to the top line (overall gross sales), then pizza has to carry more of the load. I am nmot saying that you need to knock the people’s heads off with prices . . . just recommending that the A Number One foundation of pricing needs to be your costs and overhead. Consider gentle consideration of customers when you are deciding how much of the pie you decide to take for yourself . . . . pay for the business.

Are these the same pizza you are describing? I got confused by what a “combo” is, and the pricing examples. I do think you need to get your food costs estimates from your vendor and see what it will actually cost you out of your pocket to make a pizza. It may be more (it may be less) than you anticipate. Start off by somepletely ignoring the competition and their pricing. See what your cost for the food item is, and then decide what level of Food Cost % (FC%) you wan to aim at. This way of doing it will help you drive your pricing the way YOU want to still cover costs. Starting at the other end focusing only on final pricing will gum up the works and create issues for you in the long run.

There are ways to do considerate pricing to ease into the marketplace with a budget friendly product and pricing structure. We believe that we do a decent job in our marketplace doing that. BUT we stand firmly on an understanding of our food costs, our bills, and the knowledge that we haven’t taken a paycheck (and kept it) since we opened in January 2004. Debt service and reinvestment have been the priorities . . . and since we are not raising prices to generate that revenue, we work 40 hours a week providing a customer service :smiley:

Yes, sorry my competitors pricing is estimated and conflicting. I wish I could be more accurate for my example but I do not have their menu with me.

I guess the whole point is the pre-determined “combos” have a certain price that is MUCH lower than if a person was to order a cheese pizza with “4” extra toppings.

You sure are right about the food costs. I am waiting for my final trial runs on making the pizzas. (I am under major construction and I do not even have my prep table/sink/coolers/freezers or anything in the building yet - only the big oven is still in there) My daughter lives in the attached appartment and I have had a couple trial runs using her kitchen and my oven but I have not decided on the actual meat brands or cheese brand or any of that yet.

I have a fairly acurate cost on making the pizzas - this is of course depending on toppings but… 12" - $5.00 and 17" - $7.50

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.

Above post was by me. Was not logged in. OOOPPPS

Debbie I think I understand what you are saying

Your competition is offering for example

Large Supreme (Pep, saus, Mush, Onion) 18.00

But a Large 4 Topping would add up to 22.oo

We do the same thing in our shop but the difference is the combo has more topping choices and less product than our regular 4 topping.

Make sense? A supreme has 4 ingredients but not as much topping as our 4 Topping.

Pepperoni might be 40 on a supreme but 60 on a menu pizza
Sausauge might be 4 oz on a supreme but 6 on a menu pizza

We do this so when someone orders a one topping they get tons of topping. ETC ETC.

I think I see where you are going with what seems to be unbalanced pricing. I put some of the lesser used toppings into my premade comdinations in order to move product and not spoil it. I also put some of my less expensive ones in there to create good food costs and a lower price for customers. Mine are not as wide a difference as you are talking about, though. I am all in favor of meeting a need in the marketplace (like you need my permission or something), which is what you are trying to do. Bravo. Looking forward to hearing more about your opening successes as you get closer.

Gotta say YOUCH! on that one. Even in Canadian dollars, that’s a ot of money for a pie. My eight (8) meat toppings 16" pizza costs me about 6.06 (26.1% food cost)/$23.25 retail price:

23 oz dough
8 oz sauce
10 oz cheese
5 oz pepperoni
6 oz beef
6 oz sausage
6 oz ham

Our 12" double meats pie as above only smaller costs me $4.76 (27.6% food cost)/$17.25 retail price. I am only mentioning this because the food costs you mention, along with the philosophy of pricing on the very lean side seem to me to be pointing to a dangerous combination unless you predict some good volume to build the profits. My food costs aren’t great, but probably average, so this could be a flag for looking into.

General pricing guidelines often suggest that 20% to 30% food cost is a starting rule of thumb. So, the 12" pie at $5 food cost would be sold at from $16.67 to $25.00 retail. The 16" pizza costing you $7.50 would be retailed for $25 to $37.50.

Wow, when you put it that way… It scares me a bit to say the least. I am hoping to succeed of course and I will consider all of the advise from people such as yourself who care enough to share their wisdom and experiences. Thank you.