Large 14" 1 topping price

large 14" 1 topping $12.00
St. Louis, Missouri

I am truly amazed at the incredibly high prices I see you guys charging. Anything near or over $10.00 would be out of business in a year or less around me. I just changed my menu to be competitive and most things run a FC of nearly 45%. I know that sucks but it is either that or be the most expensive pizza in town, and I went that route already and it did not work. I am not the cheapest now, but damn close. Heck my FC on Wings is over 50%! I wish I could open by you guys cahrging $15 for a large pie, I would be driving a Corvette!

Kyle

kyle, where are you that you cant charge a fair price for your pizza?

My 14" 1 Topping is 10.79 +tax in upstate NY

You have to be able to make money or what’s the point of havin a shop?

TOPIC PRESERVATION EFFORT

There was a very detailed and extensive thread a couple weeks ago that will answer this question. See that thread located at:

http://www.pmq.com/tt/viewtopic.php?t=3 … w=&start=0

I’m in Philadelphia charging $8 for 16 inch. We have good rep with pizza and i’m ordering menus shortly, so I was going up to $8.50. I agree with Kyle that in my market which is pretty saturated, I can’t go higher at this point. We also give free 2-liter when you buy 2 Large. Toppings are $1.80.
Around me nobody getting more than 48.95 for a 16 inch, unless your downtown. we don’t run crazy specials so I guess it kind of evens out compared to some other places.

Here is another question to go along with Debbie’s. With food costs on a 14" topping $0.10 for onions to $1.93 for chicken how do you set the cost per topping?

I am haveing a heck of a time to decide what to do with pricing. Should I make different groups of toppings? Maybe Veggies, Meats, and Premium?

I struggled with the idea as well. Previous owner did not have what you would call a “system” for pricing things and portioning. I had to figure it out myself.

I have two things going on in my menu. Regular toppings versus premium toppings is first. Regular toppings I used pepperoni as my benchmark and decided my ounces per size. Next, I set my price for the topping at each size for pepperoni. Then I set all topping portions to meet that pricing. They all fall within about 2 to 3 cents +/- of each other for my costs. It turns out that a 3 ounce portion of most things costs me less than my pepperoni portion on a 16" pie.

Premium topping are the ones that I could not get an adequate portion at the benchmark price. These are chicken, gyros meat, extra cheese and steak. Those are added price toppings. Not double, but like 50% more.

regular             premium

16" (3oz) 1.75 3.00
12" (2oz) 1.25 2.00
10" (1oz) .65 1.00
7" pita (.5oz) .30 .50

Everything is relative, my friend. Minimum wage in missouri is $6.50, and my rent for 1600 sqft is 2700/mo

Daddio

We have a full menu of pizzas - do not do 1 topping etc, all made variants.

We have our “Favourites” range and “Gourmet” range.

Favourite toppings are onion, tomato, fresh mushrooms, bacon, ham, pepperoni, capsicum, standard black olives, sweetcorn, cheese, egg, pineapple, prawns, smoked mussels and anchovies. We price each topping @ 50c for small (10") $1.00 for large (13") $1.50 for Family (15") and $2.00 for Jumbo (18").

Example of Debbies scenario we charge $14.50 for the large Currambine Special (Pepperoni, Mushrooms, Ham, Capsicum, Onion, Bacon & Tomato). If they wanted say 7 of any “Favourites” toppings as a make your own pizza it would cost $17.50 ($12.50 as our lowest 2 topping pizza + 5 addittional toppings).

Like “guest” said they put so much on a single topping but less on a combo and the same works with us but we do try to keep it as close as possible together as every topping does have a weight/quantity measure for costing.

With gourmet toppings they are priced at $1 for small, $1.50 for large, $2 for Family and $2.50 for Jumbo for each topping. Gourmet toppings are - Artichoke hearts, asparagus, cabonosi, chicken, jalopenos, kalamata olives, marinated mushrooms, marinated eggplant, red roasted peppers,steak and sundried tomatos. Prawns, anchovies and mussels will be changing to gourmet toppings due to increased prices.

I wouldn’t look at variable prices as it would be too confusing. Set a price along the lines as we do and you will find that some you make less on and others you make mega, but in the end of the day it is swings and round-a-bouts.

I will email you our menu (printers PDF format) for you to see how we do our pricing.

Dave

And in Michigan minimum wage is over $7 now I beleive and I was at $1500 a month for 900 sq ft. It’s not like I was making any money!

Minimum wage? What is that, some kind of a joke? My 13 year old daughter makes $9.00 bussing at another restaurant. I can’t get people to show up on time and sober for less than $10 per hour and if I don’t bump them to $11-$12 within a couple of months they leave. Rent for our 1600 feet would be $3500 a month if I did not own the building. At our second location the rent (inlcuding CAM) for 410 square feet is $1400 a month.

We charge $13.50 for a 14" one topper and add $1.50 delivery charge.

Our best selling combo is a 16" 5 top (Sau, Pep, On, Mu, BO) that sells for $20.50 plus delivery and tax. The total with deli and tax comes to $23.85.

Our second best is a white pizza with two double priced toppings (we go up to triple price) that sells for $25.25 with tax and delivery.

Our most expensive pizza combo is $29.50 with tax and delivery.

I see people posting food costs of 40-45%. You guys are going to be history. In some environments you can live with food over 30% but not often.

We have competition in town (8 other delivery) including Dominos and Pizza Hut. They honor the national promotions which must be killing them because they have the same labor and rent issues I do.