Large order help!!

bodegahwy speaks the mantra well . . . don’t sacrifice the quality of your product, whether decks or conveyors. It’s going to be your key to success.

In all the arguments back and forth, the one the never gets contradicted is the speed and volume of the conveyors versus decks. Hands down winners, going away. If you will be planning a business with high volume and targeting large orders, then it is your best interests to locate and learn how to maximize the bake quality of a set of conveyor ovens.

I don’t anticipate needing anywhere near that volume in my store, so the Y-602 should hold me for a good while in both quality and bake volume.

Justa couple of statements from real experts.

I know that others here have said that you cannot get the same results from a conveyor, but you can. Let me explain. About 10 years ago I worked very closely with Lincoln ovens in their test kitchen and we developed a special finger configuration that duplicates the deck hearth bake. Not only that, but at one of the AIB pizza technology seminars, pizzas baked to these specs in a Lincoln even fooled the owner of a well-known and well respected wood-fired/gas oven, who was there demonstrating his oven. He thought that the pies coming out were coming from his oven, when they were all baked in the Lincoln.
Evelyne Slomon
Culinary and Technical Editor, PMQ

Tom LehmannJoined: 13 Jun 2006Posts: 308 Posted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:44 pm Post subject: Re: Switching to conveyor ovens

A lot will depend upon the air impingement oven we’re talking about, as well as the type and formulation of pizza we’re making, but for the most part, you can make any pizza in an air impingement oven that you can in a deck oven. Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

George;
I remember that day well. Present , to evaluate the quality of the “hearth bake profile” as it came to be knows as, were Evelyn Slomon, Big Dave (Ostrander) and yours truly. We estimated that the newly developed profile gave the pizzas about 85% of the characteristics of a hearth baked pizza, as there were still subtile differences that we, as trained experts could still detect to identify which oven the pizzas were baked in. This is what set me off on a quest to find a pan/baking tray to give the pizzas all of the characteristics of those baked in a hearth type oven. Ultimately I began working with baking disks from Lloyd Pans, and the outcome of that work, several years later was the deveolpment and introduction of the Hearth Bake Disk from Lloyd Pans.
As Paul Harvey would say “Now you know the rest of the story”.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

dittos on conveyors…as an avid CTX fan, I find myself back w/MM360, using the hearth bake disks…

we’ve tweaked the dough recipe a bit & slowed down the conveyor & lowered the temp (6:45/450) and you’d be hard pressed to tell me this didn’t come out of a conveyor…

I could never keep up w/the volume if I had deck ovens…

my market couldn’t tell deck or conveyor - just wants good pizza fast…

too often, we get wrapped up in “perceived” qualities…I remember a time choosing silverware…wanted good quality/heavy etc…turns out i read a study, most folks don’t care about the weight, just the cleanliness…

same might hold true 4 pies…

Thanks Tom:

I will have to update my quote file.

I will locate the one where you indicate that using the black Lloyd pans duplicates a hearth baked product.

Hope you do not object to me quoting you. As I do not bake pizzas myself I depend on my clients and experts like you to keep me informed so I can pass on good information to those that ask.

George Mills

There is no pizzerias in my area that make “great” pizza…The last place that did had to charge far more than the market would handle…So despiite a “great” product and a very nice image (premises, logo, marketing material, menus, etc.) they could not generate enough volume to be viable…What your market wants to buy is far more important than what you want to sell…Companies become profitable by adapting to their markets…

Royce just made a great posting;

He is so right:

This forum is visited by a great many potential pizza operators seeking advice. I and many others try to give those folks some good advice as to the equipping and operation of pizza shops.

Extrapolating Royce’s views I think most prospective pizza operators are want to bake a very good pizza but their principle motivation is to make money.

No question that there are many shops successfully marketing signature pizzas. But there are many thousands making good money just producing very good pizza in sufficient volume to price their product competitively.

George Mills

I might have miss read, but are you using only one y600? if not, fill the top or bottom oven, then fill the bottom, staggering you timing to let the others heat up. If you do not have your temp cranked all the way up, wait to you “kill” one of your decks, or at least drain it down, then turn up the volume. This is not meant as a criticism, but I have spent years on blodgetts and bakerspride’s and I don’t understand why one would use screens. If the stone is seasoned just put it on the stone. If the bottom is burning then your heat is too high, just turn it down a bit, try again. Again, not trying to be critical, but those stones absorb flavors, the more seasoned you get them, the more the stones will put that flavor back into your crust.

I am sure after 3 years, he has figured it out.

:lol: