Lasagna production methods

I would like to sell my homemade lasagna in the shop once opened. I was wondering if any of you do this and if so, how do you portion and serve it?(also interested in portion sizes)

I have two ideas, one for precooking a large batch, cooling, portioning, refer, heat and serve at order time. The other involves making them up in tin cartons and baking on the fly at order time.

Also wondering how they bake at pizza oven temps and if they burn on the bottom. I am getting ready to start testing but I’d like some advice and feedback before I start. Thanks!

We’ve had a huge success at making single serving pastas as they are ordered. If you have your noodles already boiled, you can assemble any kind of pasta you want…we use pie tins for take out orders. The interesting thing about doing it this way, is that each order can be completely customized by the customer (extra sauce, extra cheese, pepperoni, etc). Not only does the customer get exactly what he wants, but you get the benefit of add on sales. The other great thing about this method is that a pasta takes about 7 minutes in a 600 degree oven, about the same time as our pizza, …so the management system is very simple.

John

I use a large square baking pan w/straight sides 3" high…found mine @ Target…

1st I layer in some sauce…
2nd layer in uncooked lasagne
3rd layer in your ricotta/cheese/meat/sauce mixture
4th continue layers till satisfied…

place on a sheet pan

cover w/silicone baking paper, then foil…

I cook min in a MM 360 for 30 min @ 350 for 2 passes…

chill for 1 day, then cut & wrap w/film…

micro for 60-90 secs in the film…

put in foil pan, like those used in chinese carry-out…

put some warm sauce in the pan 1st, then the warmed lasagne, then more sauce & mozz…

send thru the oven…

put a dome lid on it & serve w/some bread &/or a salad…deliver in a pizza box

This is exactly what I was looking to do. I am going to try tonight and see what happens. THANK YOU.

John, I am wondering how you store the cooked pasta before use? Do you store it in water or sauce?

after the pasta is cooked, shock it with ice, but don’t rinse it, as it removes too much starch & the sauce fails to stick to the pasta…

drain the pasta after a few seconds & toss it in a dough box, liberally toss in oil several times over several minutes, till cool…

weigh out desired portion & put in plastic bag…keeps for a week…you can freeze pasta as well & mic as needed…

I have a real simple way of doing lasagna and we sell a ton of it. I make my sauce from scratch then cook up some mafalda noodles and mix it all together then portion out at 15oz in a 4"X5" foil container then put a lid on and freeze. I add the cheese just before it goes in the oven. I always keep about 2 days worth in the cooler and as I use them I pull out a frozen one to replace it. I make sure I date them when they come out of the freezer so I can controll rotation. I make a batch of about 50 at a time. If I happen to run out of thawed product I can nuke one for 6 minutes and then use it so its not a big deal if I do run short. They take about 7-8 minutes in my BP Y600 at 550 and I put them in a pizza pan so the bottom doesnt burn. It is simple and quick and I think that is one reason we sell so many they dont have to wait long for it. Hope that helps!