Lehman?

Tom,
I have created a good dough formula based on your %.
Here it is:
50 lbs all purpose flour
438 oz water
4 oz yeast (Fresh Yeast)
16 oz sugar
15 oz salt
8 oz salad oil
10 oz clear liquid shortening

I put in the water first then add the sugar and salt. After it has dissolved I add the flour, the yeast, and the oils.
The problem I am having is the taste is good. The balls blow up like balloons and I am looking to control that and get a little tinge more crispy dough. What do you suggest

Thanks

In looking at the dough formula I see you are adding both oil and “clear liquid shortening”. Since neither contributes to a unique flavor, and both perform is the same manner, this seems redundant to me. Why not clean up the formula and just use something like all canola/vegetable oil? Also, j you can just toss the salt and sugar in the bowl with the water, no need to wait for or mix to dissolve, this just complicates your procedure and your life, don’t we all want to havea less complicated life? After tossing in the salt and sugar, add the flour, and crumple the yeast as you add it on top of the flour, then mix the dough at low speed for about 2.5-minutes, just long enough so you no longer see any dry flour in the bowl, then add the oil and mix for another minute at low speed. Then finish mixing at medium speed, if your mixer wil handle it, for 8 to 10-minutes. Your tatget finished dough temperature is 80 to 85F, this means that your waqter temperature will need to be about 65F.
Now, as for the bubbles, in all probability, they are not due to your formulation, but rather your dough management procedure. If you will provide me with your e-mail address I will be glad to provide you with a copy of the dough management procedure that we have developed and used for many years with great success. Using this procedure, we saldom have a bubble problem, and we seldom ever need to dock our dough skins. You can e-mail me directly at tlehmann@aibonline.org.
Tom Lehman/The Dough Doctor