?_Lehmann: getting an airy paper thin cracker crust

hello everyone i just got back frm the dough doctors pizza schooland it was great i learnded a ton unfortunately i am now thinking that i want to serve a different type of pizza and i need help getting this new type of crust any feed back is greatly appreciated. (DOUGH DOCTOR HELP!).i origanally planned to do an authentic neopaliton pie but i have changed my mind. i recently got a job at a wood burning place im learning a lot but it changed my mind about what type of pizza i want to do at my place due to what im seeing customers want. i now think im gona to go with a deck oven. so i also want a slightly different pizza now. the pizza i am trying to get now i want to be as thin if not thinner than a neopaliton and really no crust. just a thin small crust so not to go over edges so it doesnt dirty the oven and require constant cleaning. any advise you have would be greatly appreciated i treat your advise as gold. if anyone could point me the way you go to create this dough it would be great. here are a few questions i thought to be helpful 1) what would be a possible technique to make a regular thin crust dough recipe come out lighter and fluffier 2) what flour would you suggest if i wanted a light, paper thin no thicker than a cracker crust to be cooked on a deck (would you suggest par baking?) 3)how does a softer flour like caputo or san felice react to a sheeter and do you think this would be best. 4) what brand and model sheeter and dough baller would you suggest . thank you everyone for the feed back

I think Tom may have missed your post, so I am bumping it. I would also be interested in Tom’s answer and advice.

PN

You might want to take a look in the RECIPE BANK at my Chicago style pizza dough (thin crust). Modify this formula by reducing the water slightly to about 50%. Run the dough through a sheeter (Somerset) to shape it, then cut it to size/diameter as you cannot shape it to finished size. Jeff and I were making some of these the week immediatelt after the course to see how well they could be baked in the air impingement ovens that we have. In the oven you describe, you wil probably have the best success without par-baking, but it is always worth a shot to see how it works for you. The mess in the oven is not from toh crust/dough skin or toppings, but rather from the peel dust, so you sill still need to regularly broom out the oven. I personaslly like to use one of the softer/weaker flours for this type of crust so Caputo or something like General Mills King Wheat, or Ceresota brand flour should work quite well. As for a dough divider, I’d continue scaling the dough balls by hand as we dididuring the class, and as for a ball former, whilr the A-M Manufacturing dough rounder works well for regular type pizza doughs, it will not work with this type of dough as it is more like a pie or biscuit dough than what you might think of as a pizza dough. These doughs are somewhat dry and crumbly, and you just press them together rather than balling, then you set them aside to proof for a couple hours again before passing the dough through a sheeter to achieve the final thickness. To give you an idea of how different this dough actually is, the total dough mixing time is only about 3-minutes. After mixing, you bulk ferment the dough in the cooler for a day or two, then remove and scale into desired weight pieces, form into rough balls, and set aside to proof at room temperature for about two hours, then begin forming into dough skins by sheeting to desired thickness, cut to desired diameter, dock well, place onto a wood prep-peel and dress (I personally like to dress the dough skins to within a quarter-inch of the edge), then take to the oven for baking. Give the pizzas a good, solid bake. A popular way to cut these pizzas is to use a party cut rather than the traditional wedge/pie cut.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

thank you very much doc as always you answered all my questions thank you i will be experimenting for the next few weeks so im sure you will hear from me again. thank you

Hi, can someone please link me to this recipe bank. I’ve honestly been here for hours and can’t find it.

Here it is: http://www.pmq.com/recipe/.

PN

The Recipe Bank is at http://www.pmq.com/recipe/.

http://www.pmq.com/recipe/.

You bet!
Please go to the “Home Page”, then go to “Community” located on the top of the page, left side, one of the drop downs will be RECIPE BANK, click on it to open. When you’re in the RECIPE BANK type in the word “dough” for your search word and you will have access to all of the dough formulas, or if you type in “pizza dough” you will get the different types of pizza.
Let us know if you still have any problems.

Oops!!!
I should have said “CULINARY” not COMMUNITY in my previous response to locating the RECIPE BANK. It is located at the top right side of the home page.
Sorry about that, I must have had another “senior moment”.