LEHMANN???GREASE TRAPS???ANYONE!!!

IS THERE SOME KIND OF MAGICAL POTION TO KEEP THE POOPIE FLOWING
SOME THING TO PREVENT THE BUILDUP FROM OCCURRING,NOT THE SOLIDS,BUT THE GOOEY THICK BLACK AND BROWN SLUDGE

ya gotta have 'em cleaned out every quarter or so

get em cleaned.

Our county gov’t forces us to have them pumped every 6 months, and we have to have a licensed company to do it. If we don’t, We pay a fine.

I use this stuff: http://www.newtechbio.com/greasetraptreatment.htm. Seems to work well enough that my county doesn’t harass me when they come to do an inspection.

Hey paul - that site is not coming up. Is it the right one?

thanks

take the last period off . . . .
http://www.newtechbio.com/greasetraptreatment.htm

Thanks Nick.

THX PEOPLE,
THE PROBLEM I FACE IS NOT IN THE TANK ITSELF BUT THE DRAIN AFTER IT
LAST NIGHT IT PLUGGED UP,TODAY I AM FACED WIT PULLING THE PIPES APART AND CLEANING OUT THE GOO.I WILL HAVE TO GIVE THE ENZYME A TRY

Hello John,we dump a box of RidX that cost 6-7.00 ea.month in the drain right before the grease trap.This will make its way into the trap and keep it at a nice flow.Its just a great cheap way to maintain this problem.Hope this helps you.

Niccademo

Hello John,we dump a box of RidX that cost 6-7.00 ea.month in the drain right before the grease trap.This will make its way into the trap and keep it at a nice flow.Its just a great cheap way to maintain this problem.Hope this helps you.

Niccademo

Make sure it is actually the goo keeping it from free flowing. We used to deal with this and sure enough there would be a straw a 2 oz cup lid, salt shaker lid, fork, knife, spoon you name it. How it got down in there I still haven’t figured out.

Big ol pain in the rear…

But I am thankful because I now can tear the pipes apart and fix in less than an hour. Arghhhh…
:slight_smile:
Kris

GITERDONE,
SPENT 2HOURS,BUT GOT THE THING RUNNING…
HAD TO CUT THE VENT LINE TO GET A SNAKE IN WHERE THE PLUG WAS,WOW,WWHAT A TASK,BIG BLACK HARD BUILD UP,AT LEAST NOW I HAVE A CLEAN-OUT TO SOLVE THE THIS PROBLEM AGAIN.
AN OUNCE OF PREVENTION…
NEED TO TREAT THE TRAP EVERY NIGHT WITH ENZYMES FROM NOW ON.

We had a bunch of whole mushrooms that somehow found their way into the drain and clogged the pipe abouot 5-6 feet past the trap. We get our trap cleaned out 3-4 times a year ($85) and snake the line beyond it once a year or as needed. I never had much luck with any of the enzyme products. A case cost more than a tank cleaning anyway so why bother.

WOW,ONLY $85
I CALLED AROUND AND THE BEST PRICE WAS $300 IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS.
I CLEAN THE TRAP MYSELF WITH A LARGE SHOP VAC AND A SCRAPER
EVERY 2 WEEKS

It seems to me that we really, really need to consider defining terms as we discuss these Grease Traps. Grease traps mean lots of different things to lots of different places. A metro-Atlanta county about 90 minutes from me requires what is essentially a multi-hundred/thousand gallon septic tank (in-ground) installation. $15K investment. My county allows my 30lb interceptor on the floor. $500 investment, new.

tomato-artichoke heart.

We can all clean our 30-50 floor models with an ice scoop and/or shop-vac in a hour or so. It is nasty and grimy work, but it can be done. I think some folks are talking about the in-ground full-on systems with drain fields and septic tanks and all. I would NEVER pay $300 to svck out my little metal box. I will consider using some of the treatment enzyme products in my drains occasionally to increase time between cleanings, though, of pipes and the tank itself.

Well…yes, you might say there is. We have found that the simple addition of bacterial septic tank activator and drain cleaner goes a long ways towards keeping the grease trap open and free flowing. You can buy the bacterial activator/cleaner at any hardware store, we get ours ar Ace Hardware, it sells for about $9.00 a bottle that will last you several months. Put a couple tablespoons full into a quart of just barely warm water and stir well, let stand for about 60 minutes, then pour into the drain closest to the trap. Do this twice a week, with one application being on Saturday night (assuming you won’t open until later on Sunday), otherwise, add it twice a week. Just be sure to add it as you leave the store so you don’t flush it through the trap by running more water after it.
The one benefit that we realized is that it isn’t nearly as shall we say “odiferous” when you open it for regular cleaning.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor