?_Lehmann:

Tom,
We have been having some problems with our yeast going bad, and my question is if we add extra yeast and the yeast isn’t bad, what will the extra yeast do, or will it just change the flovor profile.?

Thanks
John

The most common problems with yeast going bad are old yeast and yeast that has been temperature abused. This is all with fresh/compressed yeast. Rather than trying to compensate for bad yeast by using more of it, I would suggest that you consider changing to either active dry yeast (ADY) or instant dry yeast (IDY). My preference is to use IDY due to its ease of use. You don’t need to per-hydrate/activate it before adding it to the dough, it has a shelf life of up to one year on the unopened package, once opened it is still good for a full week. It can be stored at room temperature so it doesn’t take up valuable cooler space. Once you open a bag, just roll the bag down over the unused portion and put a rubberband around the bag to hold the folded seal in place, like this, it will be good for a full week after opening. To use it, just use 1/3 as much as you did fresh/compressed yeast and add it dry right to the flour.
My problem with adding increased quantities of compressed yeast are that the damaged yeast may have released some of the glutathione (a reducing ageny like L-cysteine/PZ-44) and this can result in inconsistently soft or sticky doughs. It can also result in inconsistent dough performance. So my advice is don’t do it, change over to a more friendly type of yeast and you will have a better product in the long haul.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor