Lent

Is anyone doing anything special for Lent? My customers have asked for fish sandwiches so I am going to try Belly Buster Cod filets on my 8 inch Turano rolls. Any suggestions for serving? Sauce, mayo, lettuce?
Thanks!

pasta pasta pasta

For some reason, I am thinking of pasta.

Wait… So, do you think pasta might be a good choice?

I posted a couple of weeks back about using the ‘Non-meat-meats’ on a pizza and Tom Lehmann suggested one method of using them successfully. My first attempt was passable…not spectacular and I wouldn’t put it on an eventual menu. I’ll try it again this weekend I hope, adding the “meats” in at the last 1/4 of the expected bake with a light addtional cheese and see how that works.

Eggplant Parmigiana sales skyrocket during this period for me.

deaconvolker Posted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:19 pm Post subject: Re: Lent

I posted a couple of weeks back about using the ‘Non-meat-meats’ on a pizza and Tom Lehmann suggested one method of using them successfully. My first attempt was passable…not spectacular and I wouldn’t put it on an eventual menu. I’ll try it again this weekend I hope, adding the “meats” in at the last 1/4 of the expected bake with a light addtional cheese and see how that works.

I can’t imagine trying a pizza with fake meat toppings! Just send me a large cheese please, hold the fakon, and soysage.

Can you give up lent for lent?

And lol @ fakon and soysage hahaha

Oh no…believe me I CAN give it up big time. My only reason for even playing with the fakes is I have a couple of buddies that are facing cardiac and other issues and have “gone veggie”. They are super-craving pizza and in an attempt to help them I’m trying to work on a resonable facimile of a pie. I have little delusion that the end product will be anything but “close”. I don’t think this would or should show up on a permanent menu, but…maybe a “lent special”? Who knows…

Talapia is really popular in the Southeast as a general use filet. Grilled, broiled, pan fried, sandwiches, pasta topping. It is cost effective and portions out well.

I have been toying with a fish pizza . . .catfish is first choice. A cream sauce, or garlic olive oil, fresh thyme, lemon- pepper tossed fish chunks, maybe capers, artichoke hearts and pecans (for texture and suprise). It needs to be a thin crust that cooks quickly, could be done with other fish as well. I keep wanting to do rainbow trout with pecans, prosciutto, and thin sliced asparagus.

These are ‘odd’ combinations that may take some selling in more conservative markets . . . but could be doable in a Lent season. Heck, shrimp, crab and even crawfish (or langostines) come into play as possible suspects. Mmmmmm Low Country Crawfish Pizza with kernel corn, sliced potato, smoked sausage, Zaterain’s and crawfish tails/shrimps. Oil or cream sauce base.

omg if you could make it taste like a good crawfish bake on a pizza, serve it on newspaper for the same feel, mmm my mouth is watering.

sheb

Thought I’d bump this for Lent 2012.

I’m thinking of bringing back our Seafood Alfredo pizza for next Friday’s lunch slice: Alfredo sauce, shrimp, surimi crab, cheddar and Parmesan. Both the crawfish (minus sausage) and catfish pizzas mentioned above sound like they might be make the list in weeks to come too.

Any other ideas for fishy pizza combos? Tuna? Baby Clams?

I am promoting $1.00 off tuna subs, fish fry, and 1/2 price veggie pizza toppings.

we are going to do the same, we are going to promote our veggie, our tuna sub sandwich and may add a pizza similar to brads!

In the past, when my employer had (he still does) a lunch buffet, meatless pizzas on Friday moved no faster than any other day, if not a little slower. It could be that the Catholic customers didn’t come in for lunch, but even the evening didn’t show a huge upswing in cheese, veggie, and seafood pies. This in one of the most densely Catholic populated areas in that area. The only surge was lunch to the Catholic schools, which was always about 600 pies on Friday anyway, and became 800 during Lent.

I live in a heavily catholic area we always ran a special pizza like a mega cheese with 7 types of cheese you can also do a shrimp scampi pizza pretty easy use a butter base mozz and heavy parm along with garlic and scalions funny though we sold more steak subs durring lent then any other time of year I think it was the anti lent folks that were like ha your eating fish that’s bs I am getting steak