Lets talk about flavored pizza crusts.

I’m curious how many of you do a flavored crust. Are flavored crusts just a way to cover up a low quality pizza, a gimmick, or do they genuinely make the pizza better?

I saw one place that makes a nacho cheese pizza crust. That sounded nasty.

I have experimented with a butter and garlic/butter over the crust after baking and it just seemed really greasy. Maybe I’m doing something wrong.

I’ve seen a few places that brush garlic butter on the crust prior to cooking which I think is OK. When I worked at Dominos nearly 15 years ago they served a pizza with an “herbal” crust which got whirl brushed on the crust then a shake of parmesan around the edge. Hungry Howies is the only place I know that I know that does a bunch of flavors. Although at times they use it as their advertising gimmick, at least for our local Howies, they need the flavor to cover up what otherwise tastes like a cr@ppy par baked crust.

This reminds me of those new Kernel Season’s flavoring powders that you see at the movies. At first, it seems gross to put parmesan herb or caramel flavoring on the popcorn, but once you have actually tried a few, they are really good! I particularly like the white cheddar flavoring. It seems to me that if the flavorings were really tasty, people might actually like it and find a new reason to buy from one store over another.
Also, from what I can tell, hungry Howies’s isn’t doing too badly, although I can’t say whether that has anything to do with their flavored crusts.

Another good idea i think is papa john’s dipping sauces. they cost extra but when you have a lot of crust like you do with their pizzas, it’s a nice option.

Does anyone have a source for individually packed dipping sauces for pizza?

This is what I use. http://www.unileverfoodsolutions.ca/pro … pping.html
I am not sure what the USA equivalent would be.

Daddio, could you answer a couple questions for me?
What do these end up costing you per piece?

When they buy a pizza you simply ask them what dipping sauce they want?

How much do you charge for an additional sauce?

The cost is aboutt 35 cents each. We do not include any dips with the order. The price we charge is 65 cents each. Our up sell is would you like any dipping sauces tonight? About 1/2 of our customers will buy sauces.