Location Considerations for a Pizza Business...

Hi All,

In looking to start a new pizza (pickup/togo only) location, what are the important factors to research for choosing a location?

I’m just starting my research and was hoping I hoping to get some feedback from the vets in the business. I have read in the forum that a 10-15min service/commute radius is important, but what other factors should I consider in “location, location, location”?

Since we are mostly delivering, wouldn’t it be neighborhood competition that would be the only consideration for a location?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can share!

• K

I’m confused. You say that it will be a new location “pick up/togo only”, but then you said “Since we are doing mostly delivering …”. Tell us exactly what it is that you plan to do. Will it be pick up/togo, delivery or both?

Where in Socal are you?

Hi…Guys i am interested in buying a new running pizza business near my place it is a busy market place no pizza shops with in 3 km of the business.

The lady has a full resturant and catering license and is making
$ 25,000 a month went this morning saw her kitchen which didnt look in order the machines looked promising wasnt too tidy as well.

She is asking $95,000 and is a little negociable, I have no experience what so ever for this business i m double minded that will it work for me i have been a sales guy all my life on the otherside i believe in getting it marketed and enhancing my sales.

Any good suggestion guys what to do over this ???

thanks

The right location can be a big advertising feature. Roy H Williams in his book The Wizard of Ads says, “A location that is INTRUSIVELY VISIBLE will cost you plenty to buy, rent, or lease, but it’s usually the most efficient advertising your ad dollar can buy.”

Don’t confuse traffic counts and visibility with INTRUSIVE VISIBILITY. Intrusive visibility is what makes people use your location as a landmark. i.e. got to Kal’s and take a right to get to the gym.

sorry bout that… delivery/pickup box. don’t want to setup a restaurant location.

Torrance area, but undecided where in la county (or oc) - nice to see you have several locations going. your site looks great!

hahaha… hmmm… with google/apple/xyz maps, I don’t know if people really ask for directions anymore. Prolly woulda been more likely/effective pre 2007 before mobile maps were so prevalent.

As for marketing, I figure I’d hit up regularly EDDM service w/postoffice and do some “irresistible offer” once a month for 6mo’s in a 2mi radius for residential - as an idea to market.

Again, I’m only exploring ideas. I have the ability to crunch the numbers and plan out the details and do the work for getting things going. Hopefully, I can decide which way to go sooner than later tho!

Apparently you missed the whole point of the post. Location is more than just being able to find your shop. It is having your shop be a landmark if at all possible.

This kind of thinking will be detrimental to your business health. Your goal should be keeping your business top of mind when people think about pizza. If you are just worried about where you competition is you are missing a big part of this.

“Location” has several components:

1. Demographics and competition. With regard to these here are my thoughts:
    a. How affluent is the delivery area? If it is a low income neighborhood you will be struggling to get the prices you need.
    b. Families? College campuses? Local businesses open at lunch? Hotels?
    c. Competition is over-rated. Don’t ignore it, but I would not give a lot of weight to not having competition in the area as that does not matter as much as the demographics and can also change quickly. As I posted above, if there are several pizza places in the area that would give me confidence that a well run operation can succeed.

2. Visibility, Access, Cost
    a. Having a location where you can be seen is a plus and can offset marketing costs by reminding people that you exist and what you do.
    b. For delivery being central to your best delivery addresses is key. It translates to time on the road for drivers and that is $$. It also plays into convenience for your customers who pick up orders.
    c. Easy access to major thoroughfares makes a big difference in delivery times as well. If the drivers need to go left when they leave the store can that be done? How much of a run-around is it to go in all directions?
    d. Good locations cost more. Be sure you are getting your money’s worth!

Thats a good area. Plenty of people, just make sure you have daytime population to drive lunch business. If you are in an all residential area your day shifts will be money losers.

Thanks for the insight and getting me pointed in the right direction! I’ll take those factors into consideration now…

Thanks!