Looking for par baked shell

I’m looking for a par-baked crust - “hand tossed” style/thickness - 16". Anyone had any experience with these?

No, I’m not going to be using these for “normal” orders - but am considering them for a standing/repeat very large order where the “quality” standard might not dictate a fresh made dough like I use now.

make 'em yerself…they’ll keep several days w/o mold/problems…use extra oil & sugar in the dough…stack 'em between deli wrap…

This is what I’m wanting to get away from - making them myself - for a number of reasons. I’m talking about 250-300 pizzas per day going to the cafeteria of a local factory. Buying parbaked shells would dramatically reduce the storage space required for dough, not to mention the time to stretch/proof - and I think cook time could be reduced. Plus the need to mix, cut and ball about 300lbs of flour per day would go away.

but are you willing to pay $100-$150 extra per day for the luxuries of less storage and prep needed. Thats what it’ll cost you to move to 250-300 pre made dough shells instead of making them from scratch. Are you selling these for enough that you can warrant this extra cost of goods?

Maybe. I’m trying to look at all options. I dont currently have enough walk-in space to hold that much more dough, an I’m not sure I even have the space to increase my walk-in size - nor am I sure that I’d want to spend the money to do that just in case this large order suddenly dissapears for whatever reason.

The luxury wouldn’t only be less storage and prep - but also decreased production time (no slapping and no proofing) and faster cook times.

I think Rich’s has something like that. At least they have dough balls ready to use, but I think they do a 16" ready to go as well.

Can you share what you sell those pies for in deal like that?

Where are you located? What part of the country?
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Yes, I’ve seen the Rich dough balls - however I’d still have the storage and proof/stretch issues. I’m also thinking I could make these pizzas further ahead of time without have to worry about over-proofing, etc.

I haven’t settled on a price yet - though somewhere between $7.50 and $8.00 for cheese and/or pepperoni.

Rich’s does also produce a frozen, pre-sheeted 16" product using a 26oz base (20 per case). USFoods contracts it under their Roseli label and their product number is 597676. Price may be a bit over what you want to pay, but you can haggle that with your rep.

If you are going to send out a lower quality product than your normal product just make sure you do not put them in a package with your logo or name on…No matter how well you explain things someone will make the assumption this is your typical product and it might damage your reputation…Good luck…

Thanks Nick. I think I’m looking more for a par-maked crust instead of a pre-sheeted raw dough. Using that number in a search led me to 597656, a Par-Baked 16" crust. Need to check on pricing.

I see those now. Talk about a pricey alternative . . . and only 10 per case.

I know the pressures to balance the labor, storage, food costs, product quality, etc. Sometimes it just isn’t possible with regular processes, and a new concept or procedure is called for. Best of luck with that new plan and grocery shopping to meet that order. I would be killed by the oven volume of it all . . . underpowered decks are not what get me out of bed in the morning anymore.

You have a price on those? I realize it might not be the same I can get - but it will give me some idea.

I don’t want to get the salesmen all excited just yet…

I have no idea on the cost.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

I would expect to pay in the neighborhood of $25 to $28 from here in Grantville. That is $2.50 to $2.80 apiece for 16"/22.5oz sheeted, parbaked, frozen dough rounds manufactured by Rich’s. That would even hurt my bottom line when I already use frozen dough balls.

Now, I can see the idea of using these to get sales in the door and increase gross sales. Even at the higher food cost, you would end up making money with less labor and less effort than your main product line. At $750 per each, you could make around $2.75 or so each . . . but doing it here, my food cost would be nearly 70%! Still, 250 X 2.75 = 687.50 profit for the order, day in and day out.

It is eerily close to C-store pizza though :slight_smile:

Thanks for the input. That is a bit more than I expected - I have no idea how much that sort of stuff is.

I’m just checking so I can weigh all the possible options. I dont really want to go that route - but if it looks to be the best way after all of the numbers are compiled, then so be it.

At the volume you are talking about you will find Rich’s to be very flexible on price. In order to get there, you need to get your food rep to put you in contact WITH THE BROKER. The price break will come from Rich’s, the broker and your supplier. I would be looking for a drop in price in the area of 30% from the basic price you get quoted from the supplier. In a former life, I was able to get that kind of price movement from Rich’s on other products where I was buying around 50 cases a week.

As a former wholesaler, I can’t see you using parbakes on that volume/frequency…

when we did school pies, we hand tossed all the dough, sauced & cheesed…parbakes are good, but not efficient for a school account…

if you are a quality operation, that is the method…

you want to make $$$ and the spin-off biz will generate even more $$$

I’ve seen/used the Rich’s product…its ok…not as good as mine…problem is does/will you supplier hold that much…is it currently stocked by them?

If dough mgmt is an issue…consider getting DB from ROMA…very good product…invest in a few chest freezers…slack out over-nit in dough trays (out of the cooler) or on sheet pans (in the cooler)…toss 'em @ 8-9 am…

I reckon you have a conveyor…

if dough balls are not an option - have you considered dough balls…not knowing where you are located - doskocil/TNT - makes several varieties thicknesses of pizza crust
they are located in green bay wisconsin
qulaity parbaked pizza crust manufacturer
good luck

Doskicil produces a decent thin crust, but their thicker crusts are worse than bad grocery store pizza in my mind. The remind me of Ellios pizza if anyone remembers that from the grocery store.