Lost in the sauce (experts)

I use Saporito,filtered water, and a spice pack to make my sauce. Trying to freshen it up a bit… any suggestions?

bump

??

Re: bump

Big John, you haven’t given us anything to work with. There are several things that matter here.

1. What’s in the spice pack you use now?
  2. What don’t you like about it?
  3. What region are you in? For instance, St. Louis has a definitely different sauce than Chicago or New York, etc.
  4. What kind of pizza are you making? Deep, stuffed, pan, thin, hand-tossed, etc?

One thing I’ve found that I really enjoy on my pizza is BJ’s uses canned tomato chunks on top. Somewhere in the 1/8 to 1/12 (of a small tomato) size. They use peeled tomatoes, and frankly, I think it’s a GREAT addition.

Personally, I like a chunky sauce, starting with crushed tomatoes. Others like a definite puree (no lumps).

I’ve never tried it, but I personally think some fresh onion and some fresh green pepper either “juiced” or pureed completely would add a good flavor (I can’t stand eating either veggie). Another option I’d be interested in trying would be to take some fresh tomatoes to augment the canned stuff, roasting them, then pureeing into the sauce as well. If you can imagine a roasted salsa vs a non-roasted, perhaps you might see how that could be a definite different sauce, but without overpowering the concept.

Further, I’m not familiar with Sapulto (I know it’s a real name brand, just that I’ve never used it), but I’m very much against adding any more water than required. Fresh-pack like Stanislaus or Escalon can give a better, richer flavor because they aren’t boiled off into a paste and then re-constituted.

sauce

tHANKS FOR REPLY SNOWMAN…

mAYBE I can experiament with a small diced tomato puree…saporito, with recommended water…and spice pack…I am in Wash Dc. and have one best delivered pie for a few years. Thing is Im always trying to improve it…however maybe my customers like it just the way it. is

Regard,
sjOHN[/b]

Re: bump

Just to help clarify - Saporito IS a Stanislaus product - good quality fresh pack. It’s THICKER than their Full Red stuff, and perhaps why he’s adding water…

Trying to freshen it up how much? Just a bit…nix the filtered water…the minerals and JUNK in your local water may be all it takes. Give it a try, you have nothing to loose right? Filtered water vs “TAP” water. I will never filter water again!
Russ

I work for Stanislaus. To give your sauce fresher tomato flavor, try replacing flavorless water with a fresh packed ground tomato (e.g. our 7/11 Ground Unpeeled Tomatoes). Replacing “free” water costs a few cents more a pie, but many of our customers swear by the flavor. I can suggest other ways to enhance your sauce if I knew more about what you’re trying to achieve. If I can help, please feel free to call me between 9 am & 4 pm Mon - Fri. Pacific Time. If you are interested, I can also arrange for samples you can taste for yourself. Ciao! Steve Rouse, Stanislaus Food Products, 1-800-327-7201.

Steve R., thanks for ringing in and offering advice and samples. It is nice to see the suppliers and advertisers monitoring questions and problems and helping with solutions. Thanks from PMQ and all of teh Think Tankers