Management & Leadership

Hi, I am looking for a good book to give to my store manager on how to manage employees and how to be a good leader. He is a bright kid but I just think that he needs some more pointers on the business side of things. So if any of you have read a book like that please let me know, thanks!

Here are a few books to check out:
Light Their Fire: Using Internal Marketing to Ignite Employee Performance by Susan Drake, Michelle Gulman and Sara Roberts. $23 Call 800-245-2665 or check online bookstores

Getting Them to Give a Damn by Eric Chester $19.95. I think you can call 312-836-4400, www.dearborntrade.com or or check online bookstores

The Power of Nice: How to Conqure the Business World with Kindness by Linda Kaplan Thaler and Robin Koval. $17.95 212-782-9793 or check online bookstores

[size=5]Historical Pizza Info[/size]

Everybody Loves Pizza by Penny Pollack and Jeff Ruby $19.95 Call 312-832-6722 or email PPollack@chicagomag.com (This is one of my favorite pizza books…packed full of trivia and histoical info and fun and interesting to read).

Pizza: From it’s Italian Roots to the Modern Table by Rosario Buonassisi. $24.95 … check online bookstores

One book I was FORCED to read back in the day was “The One Minute Manager”. It was actually a good book. Moral: always catch somebody doing something right. Hope this helps. -J_r0kk

the one minute manager is a great book to read. I used when I was a GM.

I’d suggest anything by the Covey Foundation.

First Things First

7 Habits of Highly Effective People

The 8th Habit

I would recommend the cds versus a book. Average drive time from home to work is 15-20 mins. Perfect for listening to and from work. It breaks it up and allows you to think about the 20mins you just listened to rather than plowing through the entire program.

One of the best managers I worked for said that you should use your car as a ‘mobile classroom’.