managers...operations....sales? Your thoughts

I have to agree with all sides on this but coming from a background that managed hundreds of employees with levels of management… and not wanting to step on the toes of the people that own a small business or have only managed a handful of employees… but in a larger setting you need to be on the same page as your managers and yes you will have disagreements… but if you have to argue a lot or if the conversations lead to yelling… Kris is right about moving on with a new manager. The bottom line for the management team is the business’ success. Without that knowbody has a job and there is nothing to worry about. Now this idea about swapping the managers is both good but risky. Both locations have their pros and cons but taking the leaders away 30-50% of the time per week is a lot. Cross training at all levels is excellent though. Personally I would spend a little more time working with each manager personally and put together a goal for each. This goal should be sales and operationally orienated. Then after you have explained what you the owner are looking for…ask for their imput. Get their suggestions and also have a meeting with all the stores employees to see what they can offer. You might be surprised what the quiet employee has thought of that will save or make you money. Finally…put the two managers together and have them help each other work on their points that need improvement. I think 2-3 days is way too much as each store will suffer in my opinion in the long run. Start with 1 day a week where they spend the day at the other’s store. Have them set goals also and put this in a binder…keep track as to what is going on and what is being improved upon. How about lead workers at each location. A manager is only as good as their employees. How about sending 2 employees from each store over on a slower day to see how the day really works and get their impression too. Like I said…cross training and letting the managers help and teach each other is good…just don’t sacrifice the good at both stores trying to help them both. Good luck. :smiley: