Marketing in schools

I have the opportunity to market in several of my local schools at the athletic events. In talking to one athletic director he suggested that a coupon be created for the athletic event attendees and when the potential attendees come to redeem the coupons the school would benefit a portion of the sale or get a percentage of the sale. Has any one run into the pitfalls of such a program and what would be an appropriate percentage or is there a better way to honor the school that has a high redemption of coupons?

We have recently started marketing to schools and various charities/civic organizations. In Texas, most of the school districts always need additional money - so they are really happy to work with local businesses. We have given out 10% off coupons in graduation gift bags and things like that.

What has been really successful for us has been “Fundraiser Nights”…we take our slow nights and dedicate them to a charity, school, civic organization and pledge 10% of sales to their organization. In return, they do all of the marketing to their groups. Schools, in particular, are great as the parents are very enthusiastic supporters of the district. The school district markets to all of the students and parents in print and electronic newsletters.

We just did one last night for the school band and saw a $2000 dollar lift over our Tuesday average. The band gets a nice check, we get a charitable contribution and a nice sales lift.

We have some big days coming up with Susan G. Komen Foundation too!

one idea I’ve kicked around that is a win-win for all…

produce a card, say with a $20 value…have the kids market it to their friends & family, ala girl scout cookies? and rebate to the group $5 for each card sold…ya, it is a big discount, but it is convenient for the end user, the shop & the group…everyone eats pizza…no change given will also create a little upsell for the shop…

75% discount? You are barely covering food cost? And think about how much of your regular business would be cannibalized.

I am on the side of having all fundraisers on slow nights… to even out the week and realize operational efficiencies.

We just printed a new menu that has a built-in marketing tool that involves the elementary school here. We have a 7" flatbread pizza that is fairly popular, and is named for the school mascot, “Gator Pie”. We bumped the price an additional 25 cents and are donating that 25 cents from every one sold . . . to the school media center for books and materials. We are going to market the daylights out of that. No “real” cash from my pockets, a donation deduction at end of year, and the school gets some needed dollars for new books.

We are also working the school nights fundraiser this year a little differently to get more response. We are marketing it to the greater community to try to get more of them involved in the school and knowing what we are doing. they will still need to mention the program on the designated nights . … or have a flyer to fill in. We aren’t certain how we will implement the bigger market part of the picture.

Please define the programs that were set up for the fundraisers–Did you print specific flyers, etc etc.
Thanks,

You could do fundraisier cards or keytags, what kind of price where you looking for? I can usually add orders together to get my price low. Let me know if I can help?
keytaggirl

Hi Guys;

Please keep in mind that you will often need massive production to satisfy the requirements of providing pizza to special events or school lunch programs.

Production levels of 300 pizzas per hour or greater are often required.

Some pizza operators do not realize the profit potential in volume sales.Once you have sold enough to cover many costs, the rent, light, taxes, insurance, mangers pay, maintenance costs, deprecation, etc.etc. your margin of profit goes up beyond belief and just keeps expanding. Do not be satisfied until you crack that level or you are not getting the return on your efforts and investment you deserve.

George Mills

Another thing you can do, is say instead of 5% of proceeds go to xyz school in cash, 15% goes to the school – in products. So, you’re making profit on both sides :).