Melissa Data/Carrier Routes

I’m about to do some bulk mailing using Monster Magnets. I’ve researched melissadata.com to come up with the carrier routes we’d like to do.

I see that they are broken down by age and income. Have any of you using this seen different results from different areas ? Should I be avoiding the 55+ areas or are they a viable resource to hit as well ?

How many have you sent out per week ? What kind of return have you seen using postcards ?

Any results that you’d share would be appreciated.

old people LOVE coupons, they are usually on a fixed income. If you can get them coupons and then give them a 10% senior citizens discount, they will love it. I have had good returns and not so good returns on magnet mailers. At my old store, we sent out 2000 and maybe one or two got used a week, but in another town they were getting used like crazy. It depends on your town and your market. Personally, If I owned my own store and I called the advertising shots, I would shy away from magnets. They are expensive and you gotta ask yourself… Am I getting the bang for my buck? Magnets are nice, they are more permanent than fliers and door hangers and what not as they can be hung on the fridge… but they are expense. I would try a small amount, see how the return is. Track them and see if it’s worth spending more.

td_VP192 writes:

I’m about to do some bulk mailing using Monster Magnets. I’ve researched melissadata.com to come up with the carrier routes we’d like to do.

I see that they are broken down by age and income. Have any of you using this seen different results from different areas ? Should I be avoiding the 55+ areas or are they a viable resource to hit as well ?

How many have you sent out per week ? What kind of return have you seen using postcards ?

Any results that you’d share would be appreciated.

td, when I do my direct mailing I hit carrier routes at a time. Breaking down the zip codes is fine, and if you feel your pizzas attract more of a younger demographic more power to ya. However, it is much more cost efficient to do a saturation mailing, in which you mail to every house in a carrier route. So, breaking down a zip code is fine, just make sure you don’t break down carrier routes or you will pay a premium on postage.

I started with 2 carrier routes per week. By doing so it was very inexpensive and manageable. Also, by mailing 2 carrier routes per week and keeping track of returns you can guage which areas net the best return for you. Therefore, in the future, you can target those specific areas if you’re pushing for a large return.

Returns here have been consistently in the 4%-8% range. The pricepoints on my postcards are actually quite high with an average of $17.00 . If you are a little more aggressive with the pricing you will probably net a return in the higher end of this 4%-8% spectrum.

Good luck. -J_r0kk

Your local postmaster(s) should have the information available, and likely maps on a wall showing the routes. They can give you the number of addresses in each carrier route as well. then, you can look at the map and numbers to determine where the ducks are . . . and go hunt them.

j-rokk is right about saturation mailing in a route. you save huge money sending to “Customer at” in a route rather than picking a chunk of unrelated (to the USPS) addresses with names and addresses on them. Huge difference . . . . like 17 cents versus 39 cents for 1 ounce difference.