minimum wage help

i am new to this forum but need help with the new min wage laws anybody have any links to the exemptions and laws

any help would be appreciated

thanks

What you are looking for is “coverage” and limitations. You’ll find metric tons of info at the Federal Dept of Labor website (they administer compliance).

Here is a link to the last fact sheet on what employees are covered by the Minimum Wage laws. I cannot say for certain that the newest legislation did not change these standards, but I believe they are still intact.

http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs14.htm

DO ALSO check with your local state laws. GA, for instance has a more restrictive gross sales test standard than the Federal standards.

You will most likely find that all employees except “tipped” employees are subject to the minimum wage law. With tipped employees, you will need to report their tips and do withholding for them. The tips will need to bring them above minimum wage.

At least for us, the only employees where this is an issue are drivers. We pay them $6.00 and hour (below the new minimum) and make them declare tips. When it comes to other folks, it takes at least $10 per hour to get any kind of kitchen help and most of our guys make $11 or $12. (plus bonuses, vacation, retirement, ski passes etc)

Ski passes?..Maybe it is time for me to get a part-time job…RCS…

The federal “Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2007” appears to have same coverage limitations that the original Fair Wage Act. Only employees working for businesses who gross over $500K are “Required” to be paid the federal minimum. State laws, of course make differences to those standards.

Yep, ski passes. The largest employer in town for service industry stuff is the ski resort and all fo their employees get a free season pass… so offering a season pass is “meeting competion” when it comes to hiring.

As far as the 500K rule goes, we are over that number anyway.

The federal “Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2007” appears to have same coverage limitations that the original Fair Wage Act. Only employees working for businesses who gross over $500K are “Required” to be paid the federal minimum. State laws, of course make differences to those standards.

Nick, can you tell me where you found this information? Thanks.

It is on a quick fact sheet from federal Dept of Labor. It is online here:

http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/whdfs14.htm

I found the actual text of the Fair Labor Standards Act in force prior to the Fair Minimum Wage Act went live. The text supports the fact sheet pretty much word for word.