mixing bowl broke off

Anyone ever have their mixing bowl break off and were able to make dough with a substitute like a bucket or something temporarily? Weird situation but our mixing bowl sits on the mixer with two tabs and one of the tabs broke while making dough so it’s rendered useless for mixing until the guy can fix it tomorrow but need to make more dough tonight.

I know it’s late but what about getting some bricks or something to put below the bowl to hold it up. Then maybe a heavy duty ratchet strap to hold the bowl on the mixer so it doesn’t swing off?

Unless you have an extra bowl, or can get someone else to make dough for you (think local bakery or restaurant) you are up that proverbial creek without that all important paddle!
If one of the bowl tabs (sometimes called “ears” has broken off there is no way to stabilize the bowl during mixing so the hook doesn’t begin contacting the bowl. When this happens look for discoloration and metal in the dough or if you really draw a bad hand, you might also be in the market for a new hook. I would think that you would be able to find a shop to re-weld the tab back onto the bowl for you on an emergency basis. Aside from metal fabricating shops think auto repair shops, trade schools, check around for someone advertising their services as a welder. It’s just stainless steel so it isn’t hard to weld…no rocket science needed.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Thanks Tom! I did in fact have a welder come out the next day and it’s as good as new. Had a bakery make our dough the night before and only cost me an XL pizza!

Also, I’m thinking about switching over to an Organic flour for marketing purposes. Would there be any difference in my dough formula as long as the components are the same as the non-organic flour I’m currently using?

Joe;
Glad to hear that everything worked out well.
We used to use the Pillsbury Sperry organic flour in our pizza seminars for demonstration purposes, and we never had to make any adjustments from our regular flour when making dough with the Sperry flour. The only thing I might add is that you will probably need to add 1 or 2% sugar to the dough formula with the organic flour if you have not been using any sugar and employing a long (3-days or more) cold fermentation method of dough management. The reason for this is due to the fact that the organic flour will not contain any malted barley flour to aid in converting damaged starch in the flour into sugar for the yeast to metabolize during fermentation. Or if you don’t want to add sugar you can always replace the malted barley flour with 0.25 to 0.5% 20-degree lintner value malt powder (diastatic malt powder).

Thought there might be something, thanks for the tip Tom! One more question, I’m doing a dough ball in a grocery store this fall and wondering if lessening the sugar would help it’ shelf life at all? Using ADY and 1.5% sugar currently.

Joe;
Please get back to me in a few weeks. I’m trying to get a look at a yeast which will change our whole concept of dough management if it proves out.