Move to Healthier Pizzas

We are experiencing a move towards more healthy connotation pizzas. Vegetarian pizzas are booming as is the old standby Margherita. We are selling less Cheese pizzas.
Don’t know if it is because we are now out of winter and people are looking for a slim body for summer or if it is a result of media backlash on fast and unhealthy foods (pizzas deemed top of unhealthy).
None the less we are selling more vegetarian and similar type “healthy” connotation ones.
With this in mind we are launch a new pizza which has a white garlic sauce on a thin base with a light mozz spread,marinated artichoke hearts, broccoli flowerettes, mini roma tomato, red onion and cracked black pepper topped with a light mozz. Going to call it “Lite 'n Fresh”.
With so much emphasis in the media on obesity and fatty foods - unfortunately they have lobbed pizzas in with KFC, Maccas etc - there is an opportunity to develop a fresh, light and non fatty range of pizzas to make us look as an healthy alternative. Plus they will all be labelled “gourmet” where we charge a premium price.
Anyone seeing similar opportunities in the USA and Canada or elsewhere?
Dave

Ask your supplier if they provide a “Fat Free Mozzarella Cheese” to promote a Fat Free line of health pizzas. Yes you can make pizza dough with out oil, the characteristics of the dough does change slightly, but when cooking the pie, it takes a littler longer to melt the cheese.

I ran a complete line of fat free pizzas and I branded my store “Home of the Fat Free Pizza” that was in the late 90’s. The way trends are now I was ahead of my time.

Excellent choice Wa Dave!

Dave;
We have been promoting this in our annual pizza seminar for several years now. We like to either go with 100% tofu based cheese product or blend it 50/50 with a regular Mozzarella for a declared 50% reduction in cholesterol. You can also use poultry (chicken and turkey) toppings too, and don’t forget to add a seafood pizza, it should go well with your white pizza.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Thanks Tom.
We have 14 “Gourmet Pizzas” in our current range of 32 and there are 4 vegetarian style ones with all the others with “healthy connotation” toppings, with4 using chicken as a topping. I guess with this it is the reason the gourmets are selling really well and increasing vs regular style pizzas.
Our mozz cheese it low fat but I will look at the tofu style.
I really think there is an avenue for independents to develop a “healthy” pizza segment by exploring different topping options. We may even look at having a new segment called the “Healthy Option” to capture those who see current style pizzas as fatty or unhealthy.