"new" dough mixing procedure...any advantage ? Tom

I am mixing the flour, water and IDY for about 5 minutes, adding the salt, then mixing for another 5 minutes.

any advantage in the hydration or any other doing it this way ?

I do not use oil or sugar, just coating the dough balls with olive oil…61% water

Otis

Re: “new” dough mixing procedure…any advantage ?

I’m replying, not with specific useful advice, but to add on to the question.

I’d think that dissolving the salt in the water prior to adding the flour would get you the best incorporation of salt into the mixture. However, I fear that putting it in the water with the yeast could harm the yeast.

My memory states that Tom has said with IDY, just put all the dry stuff in together.

Otis;
No need to mix the salt in later when using IDY. Just put the water in the bowl first, followed by the flour, then add the IDY and salt, plus any other dry ingredients and mix at low speed just long enough to thoroughly “wet” the flour (this prevents throughing flour dust into the air) then go to medium speed and mix just until you get a smooth dough consistency (generally about 8 to 10-minutes). This procedure is a little different than when you are using oil in your dough formula.
It was good to see you on the cruise. I hope you enjoyed yourself as much as Susan and I did.
Tom Lehmann/TDD

I believe what Otis is attempting is a version of the classic French autolyse in which the salt is added after the flour and water have had a chance to hydrate. If so, I don’t think a five-minute rest period for a commercial dough batch size is going to do much in the way of improving the hydration of the flour. I think you would have to go to about a half hour or so.

appreciate ya’ll’s thoughts,
Otis

I know there was mention of this b4, but I’m old…

how many of you all put some of your old dough into a new batch?

can/is there any real difference?