new drive thru- any suggestions?

Well my concrete is poured and should be dry in the next week. I will then have a drive thru window. Need help though. Never had one, never worked one. I know I need to get something to make noise when there is a car there, and I need to figure out some kind of a number system to pick up orders. I am depleted of money, ordered lit sign that says drive thru open. Going to put “try our new drive thru” on my next menus. I think the drive thru is a great opportunity for more and new business, how can I promote cheaply and not at the same time screw myself by getting to much business that we can’t handle through the window? Have a lot of school kids at lunch, I was thinking about putting flyers on their windshields with our normal lunch specials on it. They are always short on time so most just get slices, cuz theyre ready. Should I try and have stix and tenders and fries ready for them too, in hopes that they will sell? Hate throwing away leftovers. Also, any marketing ploys? Thinking of adding wraps to the menu, for faster service. Right now I have subs, but they take 5 min. to cook. Too many ideas floating around, my heads gonna pop! Hoping someone has some good suggestions!

I would think the biggest boon for your business would be for people to pick up their call-in orders at the window. Taking a pizza order and sitting at the window would be sorta counter-productive, I’d think.

If you had some of those little flashing pagers, and trusted the people not to take them away, you could have them park in a waiting area and drive up for their order when it’s ready. Drive-thru windows seem tailor-made for quick-service places, but it bogs my mind down on how to make it work in the pizza world without pre-made pizzas on hand. That’s my preconceived notions holding me back.

HECK!! Even your delivery guys can drive up to the window to get their next order to take out. Just pass the bag through the window . . . give them the ticket . . . and they save walking time through the store!

you can use a video system, perhaps you might try Radio Shack…I looked into it several yrs ago…you might also google it 2 see what else is new…

A great chain based in WI I believe, (Rocky Rococo’s) does a great drive thru concept…keep your pizza slice selection low, say a cheese, pepperoni & a combo…they can be par-baked in advance & reheated after ordering…

If you are going to do chicken tenders/fries etc, you can get some equipment on ebay to keep some things warm during peak periods…

If someone chooses to order a whole pie, mimic MickeyD’s and have them pull over to the side & walk the order out when its done…

Call-ins can be instructed to go thru the drive-in…

Thanks for the sug. I think the kids will be my biggest concern at first but its over by 1230. Im printing up flyers to say well have certain things hot and ready from 11 to 1230 just for them. Its always hit and miss how many Im gonna get but sometimes I get kids that walk in and if there isnt slices sitting there ready for them they walk back out before even coming to the counter. I think it will bring a few more in if they can go thru the window and know food will be ready. Great idea for drivers never thought of it.

We have had a drive thru for 3 years. Most use is pickups of call in orders. Some orders are taken at window and people are told to pull up and we bring out the order. Just be sure to make a note on the order describing the car. It’s not as big of a plus as you might think. We thought it would be way bigger than it is. Go to home depot and get a wireless door bell so people can chime you when they drive up. Then you don’t need to sit there and wait. Good luck

I think that we might be able to help eachother out. I am in the process of working with high school kids for a stronger lunch, we already run a very formitable lunch time right now. And this has all been based on products that can be sold with speed. We average more lunch sales than some local Fast Food Chains do. and per square foot I would have to safetly say that we can compete with even the busiest of Mc Donalds for lunch (in our area). If you have an email address that you normaly check post it up and we can chat.

hereskaysplace@yahoo.com
I would love some suggestions. Im in between 2 schools. One large one not so big. Im sure I could easily double the kids with no problem, its just getting them here. Alot go to subway, or the local fast food joints. Theyre schools sell our pizzas at games, which I discount. I give alot of money to both schools for any of their fundraisers. I would love to see something more come out of that thanx

i have a drive thru. Was here already. Mine keeps us hopping but I have beer and cigs sooo As far as pizzas go most of mine is people picking up call in orders… We have a few that drive thru and order then go do errands and come back to pick up. Those i make pay for when they order or a lot of them will forget or decide not to come back to pick up and you can rack up the waste. Most of your fries and tenders can go in a warmer to stay warm. or set on top of pizza oven, i have decks, then throw back in the fryer for a few seconds to sort of crisp back up. Remember with summer you will get a lot of drive thrus for a pop only or a water. If someone shows up early to get a pizza we have them pay then park and we take it out. You can get a small water bath warmer that only holds 3 pans for about $100 at most resturant places. I use mine for taco meat and bbq wing sauce, sometimes soup. I have one of those bells like they used to use at full serve gas stations. hose lays across the drive thru not sure what they cost as mine was here. Works great tho, is very loud. Most drive thru customers are in a hurry and some can get down right rude if they think you aren’t quick enuff. i’m sure you know that drill!! Be polite, and mutter under your breath!!! It can be a pain in the butt but usually pays off. Just have fun with it!!! Hope this helps a little as I am new still to this business.
bj