New Pizza Ship Question

I have bought my first Pizza shop - in Massillon, Ohio. I have a hobart 60 quart mixer, but I was thinking of buying pre made dough balls till I seen its around .90 per dough ball

I have looked everywhere, and I am having a hard time finding a good hand tossed dough recipe. My sauce recipe is very good, or at least I think it is.

Does anyone have a few suggestions of some hand tossed dough recipes I can make and see how they taste with my sauce?

Check out the recipe bank here http://pmq.com/tt2/recipe/field_time/di … _1/page_1/

MAKE YOUR OWN!! It will save 60% on dough costs. The recipe bank does have several good starting recipes to use. Once you get in and get your procedures and tsting in, we can certainly help zero in on perfection if you need it . . . or at least offer help to improve what you want improved.

You won’t go wrong using any of Tom Lehmann’s recipes, so a good place to start. You can tweak it from there.

So a 25lb bag of flour, how many ounces of dough should that make? Im making dough today for the first time

You could also check out www.pizzamaking.com. They also have a wealth of knowledge for making any type of crust you can think of. The forum is very helpful for learning from scratch.

This is one of Lehmann’s recipes we use for hand tossed dough (sorry for the formatting, BBcode is cruddy for tables):

Ingredients *Medium Batch **Large Batch
• Flour: 100.00% *25 lbs. **50 lbs.
• Salt: 1.75% *7 wt. oz. **14 wt. oz.
• Sugar: 2.00% *8 wt. oz. **16 wt. oz.
• Yeast: .50% *2 wt. oz. **4 wt. oz.
• Vegetable Oil: 3.00% *12 wt. oz. **24 wt. oz.
• Water: 58.00% *14 ½ lbs. **29 lbs.

How to Prepare:

1. Put water into the mixing bowl, add the salt and sugar, then add the flour and the yeast.
  2. Mix at low speed for about 2 minutes, then mix at medium speed just until all of the flour has been picked up into the dough (watch!).
  3. Now add the oil and mix in for 2 minutes at low speed, then mix the dough at medium speed until it develops a smooth, satiny appearance (generally about 10 minutes).
  4. Immediately divide the dough into 1 lbs. 4 oz. weight pieces and round into balls.
  5. Wipe the dough balls with salad oil, and place into plastic dough boxes. Make sure that the dough balls are spaced about 2 inches apart.
  6. Cross stack the uncovered dough boxes in the cooler for 2 hours as this will allow the dough balls to cool down thoroughly, and uniformly. The dough boxes can then be nested, with the top box being covered. This will prevent excessive drying of the dough balls.
  7. The dough balls will be ready to use after about 12 hours of refrigeration.

So a 25 lbs. bag of flour will yield 661 ounces of dough.

20 oz doughballs are what we use for 14" pizzas, but really 18 would be plenty and you could probably get away with 16 (or less) if you’re skilled at hand tossing.

We “borrowed” Tom’s “New York hand tossed” recipe and love it. We too use a 25lb batch, mostly b/c our old mixer just about max’es out with that load.

We’ll get 3 doz balls for our 8" pie, and I think 15 for our 14", and usually 6 for a 12" pie in that batch…I’m guessing on that a bit as I haven’t made dough here in months. But really, if you have the mixer and a dozen or so proofing boxes, make your own…super easy, better to market, and LOW costs.

Everyone here is so helpful thankyou

After I made my dough last night I put it in walk in

How long is the dough ball good till I have to throw it away does anyone know

Can be used the next day. Best flavor after 2 days. Any more than 3 days old would be pushing it.

So I make dough Monday evening, I can use it Tuesday, and Wednesday and still be safe, and have a good taste still?

you will be safe and the dough will actually be better the 2nd day because of the yeast and fermentation