"New" used Vulcan Oven problem

I just scored (or thought I scored) a deal on an older electric countertop Vulcan pizza oven model co-1717e. The add stated one of the stones was cracked but the oven worked. I brought it home, plugged it in and set the temp to 350. It heated up to and held 350 ±10 for almost an hour. I then turned it up to 450 and it proceeded to heat up to 515. I bumped it up to 550 (max) and the temp cruised past my probe thermometer upper limit of 575. I’m assuming, from some of the posts I searched through, that the thermostat is shot. I called Vulcan and they have a replacement for nearly $300. Would any of you be able to provide a link to a source that might have a comparable part (175 deg. to 550 deg., 110V, 60Hz) at a more reasonable price?

Try www.grainger.com

Hi Empinball

Your situation is typical;

The thermostat on the ovens you have has no relationship to the temperature in the oven. It only indicates what you wish the temperature to be.

At best the thermostat, if working, is only a hi-limit devise.

It is apparent you need a new thermostat, but you also need a devise to show your deck temperature and another to show your chamber temperature.

George Mills

Forgive my lack of knowledge on the subject of ovens, but how would I best accomplish your suggestions. I purchased the oven with one cracked stone for $60.00 so I guess I got what I paid for, but I’d rather not break the bank in my efforts to fix it. I tried grainger.com for the thermostat, but the only thing that came up was a thermostat cartridge for a vulcan rise oven. Perhaps I should give them a call.

Hi Empinball

Right, phone Vulcan:

They may sell you a thermostat or, if like many companies they may sell parts only via their service companies.

If you get it working I suggest you get a grill thermometer. That’s a gadget about the size of a hockey puck that you can place on the deck of your oven so you know its actual temperature.

George Mills