Non-fried appetizers

Does anyone know of any good appetizers or brands that work well by running them through a conveyor oven? Things like broccoli bites or mozzarella sticks. I want to add some to the menu but don’t want to have the extra pain and expenses of adding fryers.

Does anyone know of any good appetizers or brands that work well by running them through a conveyor oven? Things like broccoli bites or mozzarella sticks. I want to add some to the menu but don’t want to have the extra pain and expenses of adding fryers.

knightwing1995

I would hate to admit it here… but if you take a look at the “fast food” convenience stores… you will find potential products. The very large steak fries for instance might be an option. The reason being… you can improve on the quality, care and handling of the products and give a better presentation. (and yet still have a product that is slightly flexible… they survive the convenience store after all) (Remember … the convenience store will bake is small oven and keep it under the lights for … hours?)

This is a guerrilla tactic. Another might be to hit the Safeway in their “deli - fast serve” section. Hang around during peak and watch what YOUR COMMUNITY is appreciating and buying. I love to walk the aisles of the grocery store and watch what people are buying.

The results vary area to area… so don’t want to pin down specific items because every demographic has their own flavors.

Mike

PS… the conveyor oven is very powerful for a large variety of items… could even do breakfast items. :slight_smile:

We run all our apps through the conveyor oven, right now we serve:

1. Bonz - our special cheese stuffed bread
  2. Hot Wings
  3. Seasoned potato wedges
  4. Chicken strips

Considering adding: Onion rings, mozz sticks & pizza logs.

Indie,what brand of potato wedges and chicken fingers do you use?

We do wings with various sauces, mozz sticks, jalapeno poppers, bread sticks, cheesey bread and have considered ribs and tested them, but so far, not rolled them out.

Ask your sales rep for some bakeable samples. Also try sams…and then see if your rep has them.

We have done mozz sticks, onion rings, fries, chix strips in our deck. I think McCain made them…it was a whole line of baked appetizers. We didn’t have much luck with them but maybe a conveyer will be better. The mozz stix kept bursting before they were done. Onion rings were soggy.

We just started doing fries and they are okay if served right away…some special oven fry which cooks fast. Can’t think of the brand (not a common name) Never tried wedges but would love to hear of some brands.

Chicken strips were way too expensive because they had to be pre cooked.

Kris