Non-Tomato Sauces

Anybody care to share some recipes for sauces that are not tomato based for pizzas?

In particular I’m looking for a “white sauce” recipe.

Thanks

• Rob

I use ricotta cheese instead of pizza sauce on my “white” pizza.
basically the Grande “white” cheese recipe,

Otis

Here is what I use. I devel oped it using a basic beciamella recipe as a starting point, and some posts by Chef Jeff on another pizza board.

VOLUME	     WEIGHT

Milk, whole or 2% 3 qts 6 pounds
Heavy cream 40% 1qrt 2 Pounds
Granulated Garlic .5 TBL .17 ounce
Black Pepper (opt) 1 TBL
Salt 3 tsp ?? ounce
Parmesan Cheese 1 Cup 4 ounces

ROUX
Flour(dip/sweep) 1 Cup 5 ounces
Butter, unsalted 1 Cup 8 ounces

Make Roux: melt butter and add flour. Cook briefly, until light toasted aroma comes up.

Slowly add room temperature milk about a cup at a time, whisking vigorously to incorporate each addition. After about 4 cups added, add all the rest at once and whisk to remove lumps. Alternatively, you can add it all at once and whisk like mad. When all incorporated and all lumps gone, heat to a simmer. Simmer until thickens to coat the back of a spoon, about 5 to 10 minutes. Stir frequently.

Add Heavy Cream and stir to incorporate. Simmer sauce gently to thicken and reduce by about 25% to 33% (about 20 minutes). Stir frequently, especially the bottom, to prevent scorching. Skim thick film that rises periodically.

We do white sauce, BBQ sauce, pesto sauce and pesto/ranch sauce.

Our white sauce pizza has chopped garlic and olive oil (pomace) spread on the skin and then riccotta in dabs all over (use a pastry funnel) before the mozz and toppings ) toppings over or under the mozz according to our usual approach.