paying delivery driver

I have my own electric GEM delivery mobile.
I am considering paying someone like “wait staff”, think it is about $3.50 here in AZ, they drive the GEM and keep the tips.
Like a wait staff, I understand they can be given certain duties as keeping the tables clean and tidy around the customer area.
I have never done the before and would like some advice of thos who do, espeially with drivers.
Otis

Unless, they are making good money, you won’t find anyone to do it for just tips…or thereabouts.

My guys average 16 an hour, and I pay them $6.25. State law is 2.17 but there is no way I would do that.

That’s not very good pay to deliver pizzas, do you realize that pizza delivery is one of the most dangerous jobs out there? Not only do drivers have to worry about ediot drivers, but they have the possibility of getting shot for the money they carry. If you’re going to pay them that low of a wage then the only duties they should have is delivering your pizzas. I would suggest paying them at least 7 dollars an hour plus tips.

at your shop, do they drive your car or their own car ?
Otis

Here’s what I do…

1. I have insurance that screens my driver selections - whether they are to drive my car or their own, we pull a MV report and get them specifically listed as OK with my insurance.
  2. At hire, they understand very clearly that they will deliver pizza when there are pizzas to be delivered, and when there are not pizzas to deliver, they will do whatever we need done. They answer phones, they top pizzas, and in particular, when it slows down after dinner, they typically do all the dishes.
  3. Due to that, I pay them just like an insider. Decent by the hour pay, with a couple raises within the first 3-4 months based on knowledge they gain and tasks they take on proactively.
  4. “Decent pay” ranges dramatically regionally - so to describe, I pay more than most fast food places around here do for starters, and a driver (who can’t get up to “pizza maker” or “oven tender” rates) can go to about $8.50/hr.
  5. I pay them $1/delivery IF DRIVING THEIR CAR. I don’t pay that if they are driving my car.
    I usually can find a driver when I need to hire one - though sometimes it takes a while. They need to meet several criteria to qualify - over 18, 2 years with a license, good driving record.

Our drivers make $6 an hour plus tips driving my cars. They are responsible for folding boxes and doing the dishes and mopping. They answer phones if they have a minute while they are in the shop. They make 5% of the deliveries on top of that if they drive their own car (busy nights when we need more than 3 drivers)

Cooks start at $10 and make $11 when they know what they are doing.
Keyholders start at $11 and make $12 when they can open and close the place solo, plus bonuses of $1-$3 per hour, paid vacation, retirement contribution and a season pass to the ski area.
Phone/counter girls make $9 plus tips
Manager makes $14 plus bonuses of $2-$8 per hour, vacation, retirement and season pass.

thank you for sharing the real information

it realy helps,
Otis

What area of the country makes a huge difference. Also, the set up of your business be it a small take out/delivery or a large restaurant makes a world of difference. In order to answer this question, you have to take the temperature of the going rate for your specific area compared to your business- apples to apples…

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT take what everyone says as the gosple.

What area of the country makes a huge difference. Also, the set up of your business be it a small take out/delivery or a large restaurant makes a world of difference. In order to answer this question, you have to take the temperature of the going rate for your specific area compared to your business- apples to apples…

DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT take what everyone says as the gosple.[/quote

DITTO !

Niccademo

What area of the country makes a huge difference. Also, the set up of your business be it a small take out/delivery or a large restaurant makes a world of difference.
your’e so right about that goomba,

as for me and where I am, I plan to pay $3.75 per hour here in AZ as a “tipped” employee, they will drive my car and do chores here when not out driving…if tips do not bring them up to minumum wage, i’ll make up the difference…
Otis

Otis, you may have some very different circumstances in your area. You are in the middle of the desert but with a lot of snowbirds who fill up the town during the winter…I think. I would imagine your labor pool is quite different. As I remember there is not much industry there so are jobs harder to come by for people? Supply and demand dictates, to a large extent, the wages. I was reading Bodegas post and I think he is Northern California. Very expensive country and I would imagine that given the higher cost of living (and perhaps) a smaller labor pool that he has some high payroll costs. He seems to pay pretty high wages, PLUS medical? PLUS ski passes? Pretty stiff in this business unless you are blessed with a very high volume location.
In our places (Orange County, Ca) we pay drivers $8/hr and they drive our vehicles. I don’t believe in having people stand around so they are paid to do other things when they are not driving. I have found that for whatever the reason if you have some people who do nothing in-between their assigned tasks (driving) that this will have a negative impact on those employees who are working. So we start drivers at $8, they keep their tips and we want them to become proficient enough inside the store to justify us giving them more money. We pay for performance and we would be happy if the majority of our employees were performing well enough to warrant higher rates of pay. We tell our employees that we look for reasons to increase pay but it is based on performance and not seniority.

Otis, are you now staying there year round or will you close up in Spring?

Otis, are you now staying there year round or will you close up in Spring?

close when it get’s hot, May to October,
Otis

I am in Oklahoma and am paid $6.00/hr for insider pay.

The HIGHEST I’ve ever been paid was as an Assistant Manager for another pizza company, Mazzios, which was $7.50/hr.

My husband worked at Mazzios for 6 years as a delivery driver (I got him his job wink), and he made Minimum Wage (at the time was $5.15 I think) plus tips and mileage.

When Sept. 11th happened, it skewed the whole delivery driver setup. Corporate raised delivery charges, and made the driver tips less because people assumed the delivery charge was payment to the driver. Then, mileage would range from .22/mi to .28/mi depending upon the gas price.

Now, that company pays $1.00 per delivery, no mileage, and driver tips are kept, and same minimum wage hourly rate. Now, you get the drivers over there fighting for the closest deliveries, resulting in cold pizzas to the farther away customers.

They’ll eventually learn or go out of business I guess…that was one of the things I quit that company for…you were a manager to do their bidding…not think and have good ideas. LOL

FYI,
I am paying $3.37 per hour plus the tips they get
that should bring them up to at least, probably more than the inside hourly staff get.

that is in Quartzsite, AZ,

Otis

my drivers get $5.50 per hour and $1 per delivery

Are you having problems finding drivers at that pay or having problems finding quality drivers at that pay?

PM

Or is driving that cool delivery vehicle get them everytime?
http://www.gemcar.com/uploads/models/3/gem-e2-homepage.jpg

I am a driver for a place called “Pauly’s pizza-ria” in Elmhurst, Illinois. I had work 14 to 15 years for the previous business that was there called “Nancy’s pizza” at that same location. Then it was sold to two owners, and called it “Pizza-ria” but they ran it into the ground, then 5 months ago, two more people bought the business, and they were building the business, promoting it, and running a skelton staff until sales start to pick up.

As a driver, I was getting paid $3.00 an hour, plus $2.50 delivery fee, plus tips. Now that we have started to get a few more deliveries (I was averaging 6 a night) they decided to cut the $3.00 an hour that they paid, once a driver hit 10 deliveries. This wasn’t from the hour that we hit the tenth delivery, it was once you hit 10 deliveries, you don’t get paid any hourly for the whole night. If on say Thursday I get only 6 deliveries, I would get $3.00 an hour, plus the delivery fee and tip. But the last two Fridays I goot 14 deliveries, and this last Friday I got 10 deliveries in 7 1/2 hours of work. I’ve lost $43 dollars in wages because they chose to come up with this rule.

I complained about it, and they said “If you don’t like it, let us know, we’ll hire someone else to do the job”. Does anyone know if there is a place that I can file a complaint? Would the better business bureau be of help? Can they do this legally? They have also cut me down to one night now because I complained, and had a “bad attitude” about it.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Does anyone know if there is a place that I can file a complaint

yup at this website: http://www.tipthepizzaguy.com/discussion/

Thanks Paul7979. I posted the same message there. Since I am new there, I have to wait for message approval by the moderator. I’m hoping to get a good answer.