PIZZA AND RIBS

ANYONE RUN A PIZZA AND RIBS SPECIAL?
I AM THINKING OF A 1 EX LARGE(16 ") 1 TOPPING
FULL SLAB BABY BACKS,
2 ORDERS OF FRYS BREAD STIX,2 LITRE POP FOR SOME UNGODLY CHEAP PRICE,SAY,$25
COGS-ABOUT $11.50

we’ve been quite successful selling combo’s like that, but we use St. Louis spare ribs or cost reasons…toss in some garlic knots & you’ve got a winner…

We stopped doing deals on ribs just after I took over th business 20 months ago. There is not enough profit to cut the price or special it out.

We have agreat product that sells very nicely and gives us areasonable return. Cutting the price by 50 cents would make it a non evenet so I suggest you look closely at your costs (including packaging and labour content) before you decide to special it.

Dave

I would buy that special every single week . … maybe some weeks twice. I would FIND someone to split it with my wife and me. I cannot feed four people anywhere for $25 for dinner.

That said, I think WA Dave is giving good caution. Look at your real cost and you Food Cost% of the promotion. A promo at 46% food costs is pretty lean, and you’d need to do pretty decent volume to make it pay off. If it is a short term deal, then maybe.

The biggest challenge I see is that you deal with 46% Food Cost (including packaging? Delivery Fee?) shuts out almost ALL opportunity to upsell and increase your ticket total. You’ve included everything they would add on, dessert is the only slim chance, so limited window to score more sales . . . which is a huge value to price cut specials. Some have suggested closer to 35% to 40% food cost on bundle specials. Maybe pulling out a couple of the side items from the special could give you some upsell potential.

I guess it all depends on what your contribution margin (CM) is… If you volume is high enough already, and your running 16% labor, and your total fixed is running about 10%, then sell a food product that is 46% isn’t gonna hurt you. but if your running 32% labor, and your fixed is 20% then I can’t see doing it, unless you think it will bring them in droves.

Try it as a Dine-in Special only!!! Pizza, Ribs &( Frys Bread?) $24.99, Then they have to buy drinks, 2 pops or beers should add another $3.00 to $6.00 onto the ticket, plus your overall food cost will go down cause your serving in dinnerware, and not packaging it.

My favorite special is the 2 for 1 Dine in. They buy two 16" fully loaded pizzas $20.00 dinner for four(55% FC), but then they buy 4 drinks, a order of breadsticks, and Ice Cream cones for dessert. Cha-Ching another $20.00. Total food cost 40%, CM is 38% minus 15% fixed cost profit is 23%. I could do that everyday all-day long.

THANKS ALL
I GUESS I SHOULD HAVE SAID I JUST ADDED RIBS TO MY MENU AND NEED TO GET IT OUT THERE AS QUICKLY AS POSSIBLE IN ORDER TO MAKE IT WORTH DOING,TODAY I AM SAMPLING ALL ORDERS WITH A FEW RIBS AND BOX TOPPERS ON THE SPECIAL.

HEY NICK,
I HOPE I HAVE A LARGE GROUP OF OF DOUBLE EATERS LIKE YOU…

I HEAR YOU LOUD AND CLEAR,ILL KILL THE POP AND UPSALE DRINK
I WILL DO A LARGE 14’ 1 TOPPING-COGS $3.07
FULL RIBS - COGS $ 4.65
BREAD STIX -$.50
CONTAINERS-$.70
TOTAL-$8.92= ABOUT 34%(ADD $1)
I CHARGE $2.00 FOR DEL,SPLIT WITH DRIVER