Pizza Prep Table Needs Repairs/Replacement

My pizza prep table (67 inch) is cooling at 61 degrees. The repairman said that there are likely issues in the internal flow/system (likely blocked up by flour).

He said that this is an issue that may not be able to be repaired, as it makes the compressor run hot and will burn out every 4 months or so.

He said that for $150, he could try to flush it out with nitrogen, but no guarantee that it will work.

I’ve look for pizza tables and they run about $3000 new, or about 1500 used, but i would need to pay for freight shipping (about $450-$900). I did find one for real cheap, but its on the opposite coast and would be $900 for freight alone!!

Plus i have the added problem of needing to get rid of the old pizza table (space in restauarant is very tight, and someone quoted me $250 to haul it away.

I called a local dealer and he said not to buy used refrigeration, as they tend to have more issues used that other equipment.

Any other ideas or possible solutions are greatly appreciated.

Sounds like your repairman is leaning towards the compressor you have being shot. How old and what kind of condition is the box, doors, hinges etc.? If there is nothing wrong with your table other than the compressor just get a new compressor. It will come with a new warranty and its a lot cheaper than buying a used or new whole unit. If the box is in poor condition, it probably is not a good idea to put a new compressor in it only to have other things need to be repaired.

I would not buy a used older unit unless it was local where I could personally check it out. If you are not near a major city (as it appears you are not from your post) it may be difficult finding a used unit locally. I see used units on Ebay that are only months to a year old that have many pictures showing them to be in great condition. If the difference only comes down to a few hundred dollars between a new and used unit, get the new.

I’ve been quoted about $250 to have old equipment hauled away as well but what I have done is just left old equipment out the back door. Someone has always taken it or at least stripped it down to practically nothing to salvage the metal. The the remaining parts can just be thrown away.

I think your local dealer is looking from “his” perspective . . .

make sure the coils are cleaned & free of flour from the slap table - you can clean them youeself, just be careful…

there is a spray/cleaner you can get @ Home Depot or Lowes designed for this…

after the coils are cleaned, you can put a disposable filter in front of the coils to reduce further flour collection…just swap out the old filter monthly…

you may also just need more freon in the system - perhaps a 2nd diagnosis is in order…