Pizza prices

I think we are saying the same things in different ways.
Bottom line , you have a vision stick to it, learn to ignore noise around you. Stick to quality and fair pricing based on your own numbers and not based on what everyone is charging around you. I always say it is like playing a game of golf, you are not really playing against anybody you are playing your own game in another words who care what everyone is doing what around you, paying attention to them is distraction…My two cents

You can also simply disable both the comments and the reviews section.

For those who are interested - I put some of the comments from this thread into a web article on PMQ. There are a couple comments at the bottom of the article. They feel for ya @npizza !

http://www.pmq.com/March-2019/Is-It-Time-to-Raise-Your-Pizza-Prices/

Thank you Missy.
I saw the Facebook post and people are also commenting on there

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Indeed! I hadn’t seen that. :rolleyes: I’ll be curious to know the results of your pizza poll. I was thinking about making a graph, but the fact that some people have 16" larges is kind of throwing me off!

I’d say a chart that isn’t labeled large and small but simply shows the price by diameter.

If you want to get technical we could get the average price per square inch.

My 14" -
$11.99 ÷ 154 square inches =
0.0778571429 or rounded up is $0.08 per square inch.

A square inch to measure a round pizza? That would work! Using pi of course. :slight_smile:

Only one more hiccup in this data analysis… some users stated that they pay more than minimum wage.

What did you really want to find out when you started the thread about price/minimum wage ratios?

It was really just to get a feel of what others were charging across the country. My area is still stuck in the past in regards to what a fair price should be.

I’ve heard that other parts of the country get a lot more for their pizza.
We also used to pay more than minimum but with this state raising it so fast the kids are getting consistent dollar raises.

In that regard 12" pizza bring you the most profitable in terms of Material cost to pricing…imo
I like 12" pizza from that stand point a lot.

So, we could use more data. But with 11 participates there’s not a real clear match between how much pizza is getting charged for and labor cost.

price for large vs min wage.png price per square inch vs. min wage.png

P.S. sorry these images are huge!

When pricing my menu I figure the cost of the biggest pizza then do the math and increase the price per sq in slightly as the size decreases.
For example if 14" is 30% food cost then a 12" might be 29.5% food cost.

To answer your question directly our build your own 12" pizzas start at 11.00 for a cheese then add toppings. Our standard specialty pie is 15-18 for a 12". Our 16" pies start at 15.00 for a cheese then add toppings. They are priced at 8.00 more per pie for specialty than the 12" pies. We are middle of the road in prices among the people I compare myself to. I wont ever win price with dominos etc but their pizza is not the same and they dont come close to using the ingredients we use. I think the food world is splitting sharply along two lines. Quick service who use lesser ingredients, lots of technology and few humans but deliver cheap food for the people who value or need price over quality (think macdonald’s etc). Then there is limited or full service with much higher quality ingredients, more employees etc and we will charge more and cater to those who wish to and can spend for a quality meal with ingredients they feel good about putting in their bodies. You won’t for much longer be able to offer cheap ingredients and charge anything more than the national chains doing the same thing but with bigger buying power than you. I would suggest deciding which one you want to be and build your business around that. As to age, you will never make everyone happy and as we age we all think things are too much or not worth it. Kill people with service and make your place a place they want to come for you and your staff and price wont be as big of a deal to them.

I would add too that you should be targeting food cost of 22-25 on pizzas, your non pizza items should be 25-28 unless you offer fine dining then 30-33 is fine. With labor being about 32-34% now in a full service restaurant ( though we are looking at more tech to get this back to the 30 it needs to be) you can not sell food at 30-35 and make a strong profit is my belief unless you bought your property a long time ago so have low building costs.