PLEASE---no comments in here from POS companies

It was in 2008, shortly before I purchased Prism. They quoted me “all in ones” as well as PC’s. The PC’s came in a couple hundred more than the all in ones.

I recently got a quote from Prism. I don’t think it’s quite 60% of the cost, otherwise Revention would be almost $50k for this set up:

1 mgt station, 3 cash and 2 phone stations (all dell w/touch screens), 8 security cameras, networking kit, 6 Epson receipt printers, 1 report printer, 3 cash drawer, 3 mag card reader, 4-line caller id interface unit = $14k

6 Prism licenses, web order set up ($400), web order monthly ($100), MS Mapoint w/Prism Interface ($400), ACH Digitized Street Database with Sector ($400), PCCharge ($500), Merchant Setup ($200), Menu Programming ($500) = $7,700

Install and Training ($1900), Travel Exp ($900), Shipping ($325), Cash Discount (1$1,800)

GRAND TOTAL: $23k

I didn’t purchase the security cameras and didn’t have 6 receipt printers. Otherwise pretty similar setup. I’m guessing the cameras drive the price up quite a bit.

Why would anyone want six receipt printers?

We have a six station prism system…

1 receipt printer that also prints the drivers run slips
1 label printer
1 credit card slider
1 cash drawer
no cameras
no travel, no install, no mapping
“cash station” is also one of our “phone stations”

Manager station
Driver Station
3 order/phone/cash stations
Makeline station
receipt printer
label blaster
network
4 line caller ID
Credit card calling
online ordering
Probably some other stuff I am forgetting

BTW, if Prism is 23K and that were 60% of another bid, the other bid would be 38 not 50.

I just stopped by to say that if I were looking for a POS and didn’t NEED one right away, I’d wait 6 months. The cloud based POS systems are multiplying daily. And even if that doesn’t interest you, their pricing model will drive down the cost of traditional POS systems significantly. I don’t usually advocate waiting for new technology because there is always something around the corner. But cloud based POS systems will change the game. I manage IT for my wife’s medical practice on the side and am witnessing it firsthand in that industry. Software that once was $150,000 is now $10,000. It’s crazy.

In disclosure, I use POS. I’m not making any move soon, but I’m always looking…

Patrick Cuezze
Next Door Pizza

I am using Point of Success as well. But I need a 3rd terminal and an inventory system and we are working internationally and their caller id interface drops the last 2 digits here since the number is too long.

I thought your response is what I see even though I am not an insider in this industry but the cloud based systems seem perfect, caller ID integration seems to be lacking. I am loving my chromebook and see the future in that light.

2 interesting cloud based solutions:
http://posnet.us/ but after calling around they are not serious or at worst a scam. beware!
https://breadcrumb.groupon.com/

Keep up the discussion…

Ok Patrick it has been 6 months.

Anyone interested in co-developing something we could all use and benefit from. I have been looking at OpenBravo, OpenERP, uniCenta, Floreant and also Caller ID interfacing: adaxa, orcawave and tropo.

There must be a better way than my current IT solution. I see a real proliferation of new ideas in this space. The one thing that is not going to change dramatically is the back office functions so if it can be tied to something proven, OPEN and seriously robust like OpenERP or Open Bravo that seems like a good idea. How the CRM is activated in the POS seems to be the key whether it is a telephone call, web order, SMS, mobile app, hunger sensor mounted next to the smoke detector lol…

Recent news from Pizza Hut:
And, approximately 40 percent of all transactions occurred digitally from Jan. 1-10, with select markets surpassing 50 percent, according to a news release.
Pizza Hut offers digital ordering options via its mobile site, Android App, iPhone App, Windows App, iPad, Xbox 360 and PizzaHut.com.

Hi, what do you mean about posnet.us? I’m thinking of buying their system.
thanks

Do the different POS options (Revention, POS, Prism, FoodTec) consider a make line screen to be another “station” or are they an unlimited add-on depending on how many PC’s you have? We have 3 makeline screens + 5 order stations + drivers station. Would like to not have top purchase new pc’s (since many are recently upgraded to windows 7).

Dan

I’ve been in business for a long time but new to pos.
I’m interested in POSnet, Prism and speedline.
They never told me I would need makeline screen, just a printer???
So far with 3 all in one stations, a couple of printers, one server and installation just under 11k, POSnet.
any ideas as far as the price range? I would need 3 stations in front where all the phones are.
Thanks

We have three order stations, one driver station, one makeline station and a manager computer (Prism). 6 in all. I initially purchased the system 15 years ago, replaced it all about 7-8 years ago and upgraded the software and have replaced all but one of the machines again in the past two years. Based on that we get maybe 6-8 years out of a machine. In total the hardware has cost me about $2,000 per year. Money well spent. I have no other vendor or supplier or service that I am as happy with as I am with Microworks/Prism. It does everything I need and more. Customer service is great. Reliability and support are great… I have been dealing with the same guy for more than 15 years now. nuf said!

Hi, is posnet.us not a good system because we are considering them. Any problems you know of???
Thanks

Hi
Do they have 24/7 support?
How is their hardware (just like all other pizza places flour is everywhere, wondering how their system hols up)
Any problem upgrading or adding stations?
Any other info would be great, our choices are POSnet or Prism.
Thanks

Yes, on 24/7 support. After regular office hours the support is only for critical issues. i.e., system is crashed not “how do I change fonts?”

Hardware has been excellent. As I described above we get 6-8 years on average out of a machine. We do open them up and use compressed air to clean them out a couple of times per year. These are commercial use PCs not the light duty home PCs that most are using for the do it yourself POS systems. Part of the reason they work better and last longer!

Adding stations is a phone call. A new machine, all programmed and ready to plug in will arrive by UPS shipped out the day after you order it. All set-up items taken care of over the internet by tech support.

Thank you for your reply.
I am working now with Michael Anthony to see if we can use their system at microworks. What I’d like to find out from you is you had mentioned that you bought some of the equipment from eBay (I think it was you).
Can you tell me in specific model numbers and what they are so I can look em up on eBay to keep the cost down.
Thank you :slight_smile:

Say hi to Michael. I have been working with him for over 15 years. They have always done right by us.

The only thing I buy on ebay are touchscreens. I can’t give you model numbers on the screens. I have purchased several different models over the years. I always buy Elo touchscreens and you need to make sure the connections are compatible (serial vs USB) but after that I don’t think it matters.

After lots of research the one reason that I most likely buy their system is your great comments (current and previous) in details.
What price range you pay for elo touchscreens (new or used)?
I’m not clear on the part of serial vs. Usb (which one should I look for)?
I will talk to him on Monday and tell him you said hi.
Thank you :slight_smile:

Did you ever develop or find a solution for your caller id and pos ? I am in Mexico and the complexities getting the pos to get the caller id has me going crazy and 4 yrs into this still cannot find an easy fix, trying to put in a small call center to handle calls, my clients are still used to calling not ordering online for many reasons.