POS help

I am opening a takeout and delivery shop in a few months. We will only have 2-4 menu items. Which POS would you guys consider??

Point Of Success is low cost, user friendly and expandable. You can install it on your own hardware.

POSPizza rules for your type of shop. You can buy a 1 gig machine from the used computer shop for less than $200, and be up and running in less than a week.

The marketing is lacking, but all of the data is available for export to CSV files, so you can do a surgical d-mail, or 30-60-90 d mails by doing a simple mail merge to get address printable directly to the post cards.

You will pay for POSPizza with 1 direct mail (I did). Not may other POS companies can offer that.

Shop around and setup some demo and see what works for you. If you like give Signature Systems a call and will send you out a free DVD demo on our system. You can also visit us on the web at www.PIZZERIAPOS.com.

Thanks for your time
Jason
Signature System

Thanks guys for all of your help!

Do you guys use box labels? Should I consider using labels?? Does Pizzeriapos print box labels.

Thanks again.
kev

Box labels are great. You will have far less screw ups using them. POSPizza can print them on any lable printer.

One other big reason to think about POSPizza is that the very small initial investment can be made back in 1 or 2 database mailers and you can evaluate the functions you want and need in a full fledged system. It is much harder to pay 15-20k for a system and get rid of it than it would be to toss out a $200 computer running POSPizza.

Think of it as a “starter system” then upgrade when it becomes necessary. If you haven’t used a POS before then that is the way to go. I see a lot of people out there who paid 20k for their system and then never use the marketing, inventory, and scheduling capabilities. Having them and not using them is about the same as not having them at all.

I see a lot of people out there who paid 20k for their system and then never use the marketing, inventory, and scheduling capabilities. Having them and not using them is about the same as not having them at all.

How freaking true! I second POS Pizza as a great system with a low investment. I’m pretty close to out growing the system, but most of that is due to my dining room and our bar.

A different take…2-4 menu items? Temptation is to say, maybe you really don’t need to invest in a POS?

Sure, the EOD work would be much easier, but any cash register can give you Z outs. Why invest a decent chunk o’ change when a $300 cash register from Sam’s Club will do you?

The POS would be a computer, yes. $500 at Sam’s. You could make up an Excel sheet that could serve as your order input.

But, do you really need that in your case? A handwritten ticket can get all the info you need, maybe more easily. Dupes, you can get THOSE at Sam’s too! (no, I don’t work for Wal Mart, but I did sleep at Hol…oh, no I didn’t) :roll:

The tickets serve as the record, the cash register gives an order number which is then written on the ticket. It will be more work to assemble the tickets at the end of day, get customer info off, etc, but the register can break down all your sales info. You’ll have to do cost stats yourself, but that’s not so difficult.

Save the $$ for now. Yes, if you expand the menu to, say, 8-10 items, maybe it will make sense, or when you begin to take off big time. Do the research now, but in your case I’d just hold off on the purchase a bit. Get used to the business first, decide for yourself what you need in a POS.

Eupher,
I agree a bit, but only because that is what I did when I first opened. In retro spect, I made my money back on 1 d-mail from POSPizza though. For example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-OPTIPLEX-WIN-XP-DESKTOP-PC-OFFICE-COMPUTER_W0QQitemZ330016687447QQihZ014QQcategoryZ51134QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This Dell would run you $100, POSPizza is $375. $175 more than your register, but you would make up that difference in one day by the time savings you would get from being able to directly print address labels from your POSPizza system.

My Excel for Dummies book is sitting on my desk gathering dust, and I could barely use it for making a mailing list. That small initial investment is more than worth it to keep an active database.