POS Receipt printers...steer me to the right one.

Deacon_V

I’m needing to find 2 counter receipt printers and one for the delivery label. I’m aware that the delivery receipt should be plain paper instead of the std. thermal due to the print rubbing off too easy. I know I can use a wide variety of manufacturers, Epson, Star, etc. and I think I understand that I need to have all my counter printers the same model.

Other than all that, what should I be aware of? Are you guys seeing issues with a particular model that would make me want to avoid it? Anyone have a couple they want to get rid of at a fair price? I’m looking for 2 cashdrawers as well and from what I’ve read they need to match my printer?

Last edited:
deaconvolker:
I’m needing to find 2 counter receipt printers and one for the delivery label. I’m aware that the delivery receipt should be plain paper instead of the std. thermal due to the print rubbing off too easy. I know I can use a wide variety of manufacturers, Epson, Star, etc. and I think I understand that I need to have all my counter printers the same model.

Other than all that, what should I be aware of? Are you guys seeing issues with a particular model that would make me want to avoid it? Anyone have a couple they want to get rid of at a fair price? I’m looking for 2 cashdrawers as well and from what I’ve read they need to match my printer?
Hello again,

You don’t have to have all the same printers or any particular brand cash drawer. You just need to have the drivers to make sure they will work. You can usually get the drivers downloaded online. I would stick to a medium price range printer if you want it to last. Some of the entry level printers are junk and are not worth the aggravation. If you want a price on new products let me know.

Last edited:
I just got an Epson TM-T88iii for the POS I am installing and it is driving me crazy. Can’t get it to show up on the network and there are no drivers for it on the Epson website.

Last edited:
indie pizza:
I just got an Epson TM-T88iii for the POS I am installing and it is driving me crazy. Can’t get it to show up on the network and there are no drivers for it on the Epson website.
Try this site pos-x.com, go to downloads, click on receipt printers and click on XR510 for thermal or XR210 for impact. This download is an epson emulator driver. Good Luck

Last edited:
deaconvolker:

What POS system are you using? You need a printer that is compatible.

Last edited:
What POS system are you using? You need a printer that is compatible.
[/quote]

Almost all POS Systems default to the epson emulator compatibility. I haven’t seen any POS System that requires you to use a specific printer Brand/Model. Since I haven’t seen every POS System, I suppose there could be one that does require that, but it seems like that wouldn’t be friendly to the purchaser.

Last edited:
I use and am very happy with the two used TM88 III printers I got used on eBay. These are workhorse printer model that will possibly run forever. The drivers are a bit of a challenge to use. Do a search on Google for “epson tm t88 driver download” and choose one of the various sites. Your POS company may even have the drivers available. Point of Success offers that to its users.

BTW, we have had zero issues with our thermal labels in the kitchen “rubbing off”. A hot pizza will black it out in a hurry, but no rubbing off.

Last edited:
Thanks Nick…the ‘rubbing off’ and the ‘blacking’ I think is what I was referring to in different terminology. I can remember back in my day one place I worked tried to use the same thermal printer for both…what a mess.

Last edited:
48.png
SolutionsGal:
Try this site pos-x.com, go to downloads, click on receipt printers and click on XR510 for thermal or XR210 for impact. This download is an epson emulator driver. Good Luck
Thanks, saved me some frustrations when the tech guy finally showed up to help me finish this morning.

Last edited:
indie pizza:
48.png
SolutionsGal:
Thanks, saved me some frustrations when the tech guy finally showed up to help me finish this morning.
Glad to be of some help, and always willing to share information that may help anyone in the future. Information is always free!! 🙂

Last edited:
Almost all POS Systems default to the epson emulator compatibility. I haven’t seen any POS System that requires you to use a specific printer Brand/Model. Since I haven’t seen every POS System, I suppose there could be one that does require that, but it seems like that wouldn’t be friendly to the purchaser.
The issue is related to “how easy” it is to get a particular printer to work rather than “will it work.” POS printers can be interchangeable to a point but it’s not universal. One example is Dinerware. It works only with Epson printers (and perhaps with other printers in Epson emulation mode) but only with serial, parallel or Ethernet interface. USB doesn’t work.

Point of Success can work with any POS printer that has a Windows driver. It works out of the box with a fairly long list list of specific printers. Others will work but may require a few changes in the ticket templates. It takes a few minutes of work, but some customers have printers from a previous system or pick up an older or off-brand model on eBay so they’re motivated!

Last edited:
Back