potato chips made in house . . . process

Anyone out there make their own potato chips (crisps for British/Aussie)? I want to attempt and begin experimentation . . . but could use some insight to give me a headstart. My goal is to serve them with our sandwiches and to offer for retail sale in larger quantity if popular enough. Fresh is always best, but I believe I have figured how to hold them for up to a couple days if needed. (secret)

I intend to try two kinds of potato: russet and red bliss.
Two thicknesses: 1/16" and 1/8"
Three frying temps: 300F . . . 350F . . . 380F
Drain on cooling rack over paper toweling.

I tried starting with an internet recipe/instruction search, but got a HUGE range of variation on what taters, what thickness and what frying temp. It really is insane. I want to find either a Lay’s original style or a kettle cooked thicker style . . . or both. Will probably start this weekend.

I use skin-on Chippers. they are presliced, frozen chips…just drop em in the fryer and salt. Much better consistancy than when I tried to do them myself. they are a lay’s color, if you don’t burn them, but much thicker.
i fry them in peanut oil at 350 for 3 minutes, dump onto a sheet pan with a pan liner, salt, and portion into 2oz bags – then I keep them in my bread warming cabinet at 120-130 all day.

I played w/some chips a short while ago…I believe the secret is to soak 'em overnight in H20…I sliced my Russets w/the pelican head…only fried 'em once…

The skin on chipper is a great product. Be prepared to increase your oil usage. The chips lose over half there weight after cooking - water weight and water is hell on fry oil.

Soaking chips is done to remove the starch. One should soak over night then rinse and soak again - Then dry well… Work. Thus chipper is a great product - like kettle chips or Mrs Vickies… Have fun with seasoning combos!

Someone got a manufacturer, or product number or something for those “Chippers”? I would be obliged.

Sorry Nick, I tossed my cardboard to fit the bags into my freezer at home. We picked up a case at Restaurant Depot just to play with a few months back and see if we wanted to use them. I don’t have a name, but they ran me just at $30.00 for the case. Super easy to use, we keep them frozen, toss a basket in the fryer for only a minute or so, shake a bit to make sure they aren’t sticking together too much, down for a tiny bit more, that’s it.

I’ve seen 'em & had some a while back too…a little thicker than regular chips I recall - they made nachos out of them…think it was one of the biggies, Simplot, Ore Ida, Lamb…haven’t seen 'em tho @ my RD

mfg: Lamb Weston
packed by ConAgra foods
Kennewick, WA 99336
800-766-7783
www.lambweston.com

You guys are smokin’ . … I’ll ask for a sample. (though leaning toward fresh for cost effectiveness.)

quite pricey as I remember, like their waffle fries…

I say use the pelican head & slice your own…thinking that myself as an app or something…

The fries I get @ RD aren’t as good as the ones I get from Sam’s - but am lazy & don’t make it to Sam’s sometimes…(I only use just a few things from them these days…)

6 x 5lb bags in a case for 28.52, which came to .09 cost per bag, vs .05 cost doing them myself, without accounting for labor.

Hey, Napoli, waht was your portion size in the bag? 9 cents per __________

At that cost, it looks like it would be about 1.5 oz?

I have done in-house fried chips at several places, they are great if done right but more costly due to the reducaed life of your fryer shortening

You’ll need a russet potato, and they need to soak in water after being cut to remove as much starch as you can. But you run into a different problem. The older potatoes work best, in the fall when you start getting newly picked spuds, your product may differ due to the moisture content of the potato and starch levels

As someone else mentioned, you can get partially cooked frozen chips and fry those for a more consistent product too.

My favorite technique, use to use a “Bron” mandoline to cut the chips, use the crinkle cut blade, and with each cut, turn the potato 45 degrees to get a criss-cross pattern (this is known as a Gaufrette Chip) soak them refrigerated for a few hours, fry a handful in 360 degree oil (anything but canola oil as canola has a problem browning things, and leaves a funky film on foods) while stirring to keep the chips submerged. Season them with a salt/sugar/paprika mixture and serve hot.

frying fresh potatoes destroys fryer shortening very quick, the extar moisture hitting the oil breaks it rather quickly, and if you do not have a dedicated fryer for potato products, they will taste like whatever went through the fryer earlier. Ever had chips that taste like fish? Yuk, I have.

yes nick, my portion size is 1.5 - 2 oz.