prices for used equip.

my intention is to begin to accumulate equipment as it becomes available(at the right price) . it seems as though the hobarts are fairly reliable even when very old. while on the other hand I have read elsewhere to avoid used ovens…so I guess what i am looking for is what prices would be considered “steals” on hobarts, 60qt and 80qt. and what are some other things that I could save on startup equip costs without worrying to much about them being used. and what I could call a “steal” on them. THanks in advance, I have been lurking aro9und here unregistered for a while and have already learned a ton…
Kevin

Hi commodore:

I would recommend that you buy equipment that has been re conditioned rather than just used equipment.There is a lot of junk out there. Better to pay a bit more up front than a lot later on.

Definatly do not buy used refrigerated units. They always fail full of food and you lose more than you saved buying new.

There are some good reconditioned ovens available, they will work fine they will just cost more to operate then the newest model ovens.

If you need help in finding good Items I will be happy to help.

George Mills E mail pizzaovens@aol.com

thanks for the tips, is there a common failure point on the hobart mixers? i have seen 60 qt down as low as 2500 and as high as 7500. I have fixed everything I have ever owned including a commercial deli slicer I bought for 50 and sold for 1500, so if the common wear issues on hobart are something i can deal with that woulkd be good to know as well. refrigeration. didnt even think about the failure issues, 16 years in rest bus and i have dealt with failing fridges the whole time. its like they are all junk.

I have had good luck with used ovens. I guess all my equipment is used now… for me it depends how much I save. I purchased a used drink cooler and it ran flawlessly for 4-5 years and then bit the dust. It cost me $100. I would do it again in a minute.

yeah, 100 bucks, Id probably pick up almost anything commercial and working for that price :slight_smile: glad it worked out for ya.

I have a couple of 3 phase H600T Hobarts with different bowls and attachments. I am selling them for $4,500 each locally with basic attachments. They are in great shape though. You can find cheaper Hobarts. Just make sure to pull the top and check the internals. Also, I would avoid places that rebuild and sell them. They spend a lot of time cleaning them up to look better than they are. Just find a shop that is selling theirs or check out auctions.

is pulling the top a pretty lengthy process or? I assume I am looking at the gears when I have done so.
thanks
Kevin

Pulling the top is easy. It is just a cover.

Have you gone to any of the Pizza Shows yet? If not, plan to attend one in the near future…What are you doing later this week? Orlando, Florida.
At the shows you can also latch on to some very good deals, as well as becoming familiar with the various pieces of equipment and manufacturers. You can pick up some great deals on small tools and equipment at the shows too.
Watch restaurant sales. Not too long ago I got a call from a friend of mine while at a restaurant equipment auction. There was a brand new, like in never used, 80-quart planetary mixer getting ready to go on the block. Bidding was slow to say the least, seems the mixer was a Thunderbird, and no one had any experience with one, so they wouldn’t belly up to the bidding bar. I encouraged my friend to stay with the bidding, right up to a staggering $2,500.00 where she bought it at. What a steal! Mixer, SS bowl, and attachments. Ain’t nothin’ wrong with a Thunderbird mixer if you know what you’re buying. A number of years ago I bought a box, about the size of a washing machine, full of deep-dish pizza pans for $25.00, and a dough sheeter/roller, with a little rust on the rolls for $50.00. I pulled the rollers off and had them turned and polished on a lathe at a local machine shop at very little cost so I ended up with a perfectly good bench top sheeter. I have to admit, all those pans did take some cleaning before I could sell them. So, know your equipment, get a good idea of it’s value, and go for it. As for the oven…my own personal advice would be to wait until you’re closer to opening for getting an oven. I think George Mills will agree with me when I say that the one thing ovens do not take well to is storage, a years storage time for even the best used oven is a risky gamble, at best, and by waiting to buy a rebuilt/reconditioned oven, you will have a better chance of having whatever warranty that comes with the oven still be in affect when you fire it up.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

thank you for the info, gives me plenty to think about and work on.