Pulled Pork

Anyone ever use this on a sub/hoagie or as a pizza topping?

If you have, and you don’t mind me asking, what did you pair it with on pizza or a sub?

I’m friends with a local farmer who raises grassfed pork and we’ve been kicking around the idea of using his sausage as topping and I’m thinking of taking it one step further and smoking a few of his pork butts to use as either a pizza topping or on a sub. Obviously there’s a ton of labor involved on my end if I smoke the butts, so it would be priced slightly above our normal toppings/subs and it would be limited quantities only…or whenever I get the time to smoke more.

Another plus is cross promotion, and the fact that I could market it as a LOCAL source of meat and an independent farmer.

Thoughts?

I played around with some pulled-pork at home when coming up with our current menu. The results on a pizza were, well…ok at best. I did it with BBQ sauce for the base, cut back on the amount of cheese a bit, then a good amount of pork, diced onions, and then “finished” it with some of our sweet & tangy cole slaw across the top.

I don’t think you’d have to do anything spectacular with the sub/hoagie…just bun it up, sauce it up and serve it up. It should be all about the meat anyway when you’re smoking. We’re still planning on adding in some pulled pork and some ribs this fall/winter if we can get the logistics right. I’ve tried a couple of different oven rib recipes but was less that wowed with the outcome. guess I’m just too used to real BBQ to like the oven roasted ribs.

@ my 1st store we used 2 smoke pork butts all the time…used to pull it 4 sandwiches and pizza…used the Cattleman’s “Gold” NC sauce, pulled pork, red onions, cheese blend…called it the “Rocky Top”…

@ the new place we use the same sauce but feature chicken instead of pork…we call it “The Golden Knight” - quite popular…

fast forward…

our landlord is changing the club’s name to “The Real McCoy’s” so we may join them in a name change as well…broke out the custom “Mickey-Mouse” engineered Alto-Shaam/smoker and did some pork…will add the old “Rocky Top” back to the menu…

for a small fee…I’ll tell ya how 2 turn your Alto-Shaam or slow cooker into a smoker as well…lol…

We have a friend that sells butts for a fundraiser over memorial day weekend, so we experimented with a pulled pork pizza. We serve deep dish, so our crust is already more like a bread, so all we did was mix the pork with bbq sauce and piled it on the dough then threw it in the oven. No pizza sauce, no cheese – it was really good. Although I’m not a big fan, I think that slaw would be a natural topping (after it comes out of the oven).

it’s ehhh on pizza at best.

patriot’s- our best selling sandwich is exactly the golden knight, swap onions for bacon. we call it the fricken chicken.

Please PM me the fee . . .or the information :slight_smile: I have a plan, but experience trumps ideas every time! Actually gonna try to work up an old, dead True single door merchandiser this fall if I don’t get a better direction by then.

Nick - PM sent

Thanks for the link . . . checking it out.

Update…for those daring souls…

We use an Alto-Shaam and have drilled a small hole in the door to install a “smoke pistol” that operates with a cartridge of wood pellets…we used it b4 with great success…

The other day, we slow roasted/smoked a rib eye, rare…about 3 hrs of smoke…man was that tasty!

My smoke pistol is modified to use loose pellets vrs the cartridges…

Now that makes our steak sand quite different!